Seventy-One

Chapter 71

Ethan's POV

***

I froze.

She was kissing me.

Me.

My emotions exploded and a huge spasm hit me, wracking my body with unbearable agony and freezing up my muscles. I crumpled to the ground, shaking harder than ever before. My grip on Eric's mind released. I heard Ana gasp as his eyes fluttered open.

Jovette knelt beside me, a sad little smile on her face. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I had to show you."

I wanted her to do it again. Even as I writhed and shuddered, filled with agony from the emotion pulsing through me, I wanted her to do it again. I wanted to feel again.

What was wrong with me?

"Jovette," I gasped out through my pain. "Jovette..."

She bent over me, touching my shoulder gently. "Yes?"

The pain subsided slowly. I closed my eyes, biting my lip.

Jovette leaned down and whispered in my ear. "I'm here. What do you need?"

I didn't reply. I couldn't.

I needed her.

This couldn't happen.

But it already had.

I let out a shivering gasp, then gritted my teeth, pushing back the pain and sitting up. Don't let her take everything away. Don't stop because of her.

Still in excruciating agony, I tensed and stiffly got to my feet. Eric was on his feet, too. He shot me a challenging glare. The fire was back in his eyes.

And then a voice from the shadows came, cold and hard, piercing my mind and ringing out in every corner of my being.

"You've failed me, Ethan."

Ana, Jovette started, then their gazes lit on the figure in the shadows. Ana shrieked in surprise. Eric was moving between Ana and Father, his eyes flaring protectively.

Father.

I stared at the man I'd looked up to all my life.

He's been watching the whole time.

"No." My voice cracked.

"Yes," he hissed. "You're nothing but a pathetic weakling."

"Father." Desperation surged through me. "No. I can still-"

"You're finished, Ethan," the voice snarled. Then it became more thoughtful. "Unless..."

I jumped on the words. "Unless? Father, I can still be of use to you. I promise."

He sounded contemplative. "Prove it. Do something for me."

"Anything," I replied eagerly.

"Kill the girl."

Silence. I stared into the shadows, my mouth slightly open. Did he mean....

"The one standing right next to you," he growled impatiently. "The one that seems to mean so much to you."

Dread settled in my heart and sent a prick of pain through me. I turned slowly to look at Jovette. She stayed where she was, meeting my gaze calmly. "Well?"

I swallowed and remained still for a moment.

Instead of backing away, she stepped closer to me. Did she want me to kill her?

"What are you going to do?" she whispered. "You have a choice, Ethan. You can kill me. You can decide not to. Which will it be?"

My hands clenched into fists. Then unclenched. Then clenched again. A roaring sound, like that of a great waterfall, was pounding in my head. Time was slowing down. My face felt pale.

I felt my blood rushing quickly, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I stepped towards Jovette, eyes narrowed.

And then I stopped.

My fists unclenched.

My heartbeat slowed.

I couldn't do it.

"I knew it." The voice was seething. "You're a weakling. Worthless. You'll never amount to anything."

He was right. My heart shattered inside me, and now there was emotional pain to add to the physical torment.

All I wanted to do was make him proud of me.

And now I'll never be worth anything to him.

I heard intense anger in his voice. "If you're not going to be of use, I'll just get rid of you, too."

Before I even realized what was happening, he had disappeared.

And a small projectile was flying through the air, originating from the spot where he'd been standing.

My mind didn't even have time to process what was happening. All at once, someone was in front of me, between me and the projectile.

It took seconds for my brain to catch up with what was happening, and when it did my eyes focused on a limp body lying prone at my feet.

Jovette.