Chapter Six

The next morning I wake up at 12:30pm. God it felt so awesome to sleep past 11am. When I can't sleep anymore I lay in bed and play on my phone for a while. After 15 minutes I get a text from Grant. I remember that I'm spending the night with him tonight. It will be awesome. Some time with my best friend is really what I need. We worked together last night and it was incredible to get some time with him. It was great to have someone to talk to while working. I read the text from him.

Hey man. Let me know when you're up. I can make us lunch before I go to work

I smile when I read the text. I love that Grant always stays with his plans. He would never cancel on me. I don't have that many friends. Grant is actually the only friend I have. He has plenty of other friends but I just have him. And some of the other cart runners at work. I respond to the text.

Hey dude. I'm up now. I just have to shower. You can come over now if you want

Grant decides to wait until I shower. I go to my bathroom and turn on my shower. I wait for it to warm and take my pajama bottoms off. I get in and wash myself. I finish and dry off. I walk back to my bedroom and get dressed for the day. Black underwear, black sweatpants and a white long sleeved shirt from Disneyland. I got it when Grant and I went last year. We took some time off work to go. It was the time of my life. I text Grant back saying I'm ready for him to come over. He's there in a few minutes.

"Hey man. How are you today?" he asks when he walks in.

"Hi Grant. I'm alright. Thanks for coming over" I say back.

"Not a problem. What can I make us for lunch?" he asks.

"How about mac and cheese" I say with a smile.

"Your favorite. Coming right up, man" he says.

Grant begins to make food. We talk while he makes it. I love that Grant and I can talk about anything. That's how close we are. We could talk about the Civil War and keep the conversation going. That's how close we are. We continue to talk for a while. Eventually our food is done and Grant brings it over to the table.

"Here you go, dude. Nice and hot" he says with a smile.

"Thanks Grant. I say"

"You alright, Ryan? You've been a little quiet today" Grant says as he sits down.

"I'm alright. Just a little tired from this work week" I say back.

"I think there's something else going on, Ryan. Whatever it is, you can tell me" he says. Grant can see right through me. That's what I love about him. He knows when I'm upset about anything. I can talk to him about anything.

"I'm just a little upset that Evan and I aren't together" I say looking down. Grant moves next to me and puts his arm around me.

"Tell me how you're feeling, buddy. Anything you want to say" he says.

"I saw him every day at work this week. He looked so cute. One day I was just going on break and he was coming back from his. All I wanted was to be on break with him. I didn't get to talk to him that much. Is it too much to ask just get a little time with him? That's all I want" I explain to him with my head on Grant's shoulder.

"I'm sorry, man. I know it upsets you that you and Evan aren't together. Know that I'm always here for you. You can also always tell him how you feel" Grant says.

"I know. I would just feel really weird telling him. What if he doesn't support gay people?" I ask.

"Then you always have me" he says.