Chapter Twenty

The next morning I wake up at 7am after having the most wonderful dream about Ryan. I shower, put my work clothes on and walk out into the living room and sit on the couch thinking about Ryan and how I'll see him today with a huge smile on my face. Just thinking about him makes me feel incredible. I finally feel that the world is mine. A few minutes go by. I turn on the tv. I then see something on the news that changes all of that.

"Ross Mason has escaped from prison. His escape note says that he "Had some unfinished business to be done". We are unsure of his whereabouts. If you see him please don't approach him as he is said to be very violent and dangerous. If you see him please contact the police immediately" the news reporter says.

My stomach drops immediately after hearing that. I turn off the tv and sit on the couch with pure fear running through my body. Ten minutes go by. It felt like a million years. How can this be happening? How can Ross have escaped from prison? He was sentenced to twenty years. How did he even escape? Where is he? Laura walks out of her room. She sees me on the couch when she comes out.

"Hi Evan" Laura says as she walks out of her room

"Hi" I say in a quiet tone

"You ok, Evan?" Laura asks

"I'm fine" I say in the same tone

"Why are you being so quiet?" Laura asks

"I'm just tired today" I say back.

"Ok. Are you hungry? I can make us pancakes this morning" Laura says.

"No thanks. I'm not hungry" I say in the same quiet voice.

Laura begins making breakfast. She sits at our table. I join her but I don't say anything. The thought of Ross being out of prison is all I can think about. I sit at the table looking at my hands. Not saying anything. Of course this would happen now. Just when life is starting to actually get good some shit has to happen to make it all go away. Laura and I sit at the table for a few minutes.

"Evan are you sure you're ok? You're being really quiet this morning" Laura says.

"Laura I'm fine!" I say in a harsh tone with an angry look.

"Woah what's that about?" She asks with a shocked look.

"Nothing. I just don't want to talk today" I say back.

"Alright. I have to work until nine tonight" Laura says.

"Seriously? You were gone all weekend and now you have to work until 9pm? You seriously have to do it again?" I ask in a harsh tone.

"Evan what are you getting so worked up about?" Laura asks.

"Nothing...just go to work until nine...like you always do" I say in the same harsh tone

"Alright. What's going on. Something is wrong?" Laura says in a pissed off voice.

"God forbid you're ever here if anything happens" I say sarcastically

"Evan what is this about? What is bothering you?" She asks

"How would I even tell you? You're never even here. You're always either at work or away seeing your family" I say to her

"I'm here. Right now" she says in a stern voice

"Only in the morning. Most roommates try a little bit more than that. Incase you haven't noticed" I say back.

"Evan something is wrong. What is it?!" She asks.

"Nothing. I have to go to go now" I say back to her