3: THE AUGUST VISITOR.

"You are too smart to be the only thing standing in your way."
-Weheartit_quotes.

Pacing back and forth in the kitchen, May felt restless

Pacing back and forth in the kitchen, May felt restless. She was debating on how to start the clean-up. Efua had left after encouraging her and making her promise that she was going to do better. She said yes because it looked easy to do. Now, looking at how unkempt the house was, she didn't know where to start and this worried her.

Should it be the sitting room, the bedrooms, the toilet, or the kitchen?

Talking about the kitchen, she looked over at the dirty dishes in the sink and her face scrunched up in disgust.

How was she supposed to wash that?

The sight of house flies perching around the rotten plates was a distasteful thing to see. Worse, the bad smell from it made her stomach churn so terribly she clutched her side.

It had been like this for three weeks, that was when she sacked the fifth housemaid. She had noticed that Bella, the housemaid, had tried to have an affair with her husband so she sent the bitch packing out without a second thought. She was thinking Edric would employ another one but when she brought up the idea, surprisingly, Edric was against it.

She looked at the plates again. This time, she scrunched her lips so they pressed against her nose.

How was she supposed to wash that? She wondered for the second time, concluding that starting with the living room would be better.

She grabbed the broom from the back of the kitchen door and walked out. Getting to the living room, she faced her next problem. How she was going to sweep the medium-sized room all by herself?

With a sigh, she bent down to sweep, knowing the job was going to be a tough one for her. She had barely swept half of the room when her back started aching. She stood straight, groaning whilst rubbing her aching waist in an attempt to ease the pain.

After some time, she continued using the same method. Gradually, she finished sweeping and cleaning the chairs. Breathing heavily, she slumped into the armchair, sweating profusely and trying to catch her breath. She felt like she'd just ran a marathon.

She remembered how when Bella was there, she would do all the household chores without breaking a sweat. She wondered how she did it so effortlessly.

After she rested for a while, she went to the bedroom. She dressed the bed and swept the room. By the time she went to Maryam's room, she was exhausted, but she encouraged herself. Within three hours, she had finished everything except the kitchen.

The kitchen was a major problem now since the plates were rotten. She contemplated throwing away the plates, thinking she could replace them later with new ones, but she shook the thought away.

Edric would be upset if he found out and wouldn't give her money to buy a new set.

She would have preferred buying it herself without his knowledge. But that would only be possible if she had finished school, got a degree, and worked a brown collar job or even a menial job. But Edric wouldn't permit her to work.