18: GRANDMA ARRIVES!

If it costs you your peace, it's too expensive.
—Anonymous.

The sun had barely set when a knock came to the door. The woman outside was getting impatient when nobody came to open it. She knocked again. This time using both hands to hit the door brusquely.

May and Bella came out of their rooms at the same time. They stared at each other for a while.
Bella looked at her with hatred while May looked back with sad, bored eyes.

When a hard knock came to the door again, they both diverted their eyes to the door. Bella
flipped her hair backward and majestically sashayed to it, shaking her round butt in an attempt to make May jealous.

May yawned loudly, stretching her hands and body. Not even paying her attention. PHCN had
restored the power earlier, so she decided to charge her phone.

Bella's eyes instantly widened when she opened the door. She gasped, "Mama?"

Mama Edric; a surprisingly tall, chubby, dark-skinned woman in her late sixties had a black
turban tied tightly around her head. Her red blouse with its gold sequins and stones shone with multiple colors that matched with her judge wrapper and her red wedges that fit her feet perfectly.

Mama looked beautiful and bold. If it weren't for her grey hair and wrinkles, one would think she
was only forty-years-old. The energy she carried and how healthy she was, was a surprising
thing. Lastly, Mama was a no-nonsense woman. She's very sharp-tongued and wouldn't hesitate to strike if you ever crossed a line.

Mama eyed Bella and then hissed. She was expecting May or her son to open the door and welcome her in.

Bella moved to collect Mama's bag from her hands, feigning a respectful lady but Mama pushed
her aside. It shocked her.

"Do I know you?" Mama asked. "Please, don't come near me. It's my daughter-in-law and son that I am here to see. Not some cheap prostitute."

Bella tightened her lips and rolled her eyes. Mama’s words offended her. She took her seat and turned on the T.V.. Deciding that it was best to watch the morning preaching of Pastor Wale Feso than pay attention to Mama.

Mama looked over at May who was standing still and looking at her like she had just seen a ghost.

"My daughter, what are you doing there? Come on, come and greet your mother-in-law." She
called to her jovially, gesturing with her hand that was left hanging in the air because of the bag she was holding. May walked robotically to her, dragging her feet as she was still wondering
why mama decided to visit today.
Maryam hadn't told her about the call.

Getting to Mama, she dropped her knees halfway to the ground in a polite manner of greeting
and said, "Mama doh o. E koi dei. (Welcome, I greet you.)"

Mama patted her shoulder lightly as May collected the bag from her. "Thank you, my child."

As May was about to turn away, Mama pulled her back as she just noticed May's swollen eye and cheek. She touched her face lightly, in total shock.

Mama was flabbergasted. She'd known about her son’s behavior but didn't know it was this bad.
"My son did this to you?"

May only nodded in response.