24: MAKING A NEW BUD.

Don't tell a lie on me and I won't tell the truth about you.
                                 —Anonymous
..............................♥....................................

C H A P T E R 24:

The knock came to the door again. She wondered who would be disturbing her peace by this time of the morning when she was watching her favorite drama TV show on wap TV but on second thought, maybe they wanted to see Edric who wasn't around.

She was the only one at home so she would just tell the visitor that Edric had gone to work. The person should come later in the day to see him.

She reluctantly got to the door to unlock it. She opened it, and was face to face with a tall lady who was weirdly dressed. She looked quite unwell with bags under her lazy eyes.

She furrowed her brows, taking in the woman's appearance from her head to her toe slowly as she stepped outside properly and closed the door behind her. "Good morning. Can I help you? Is there someone you are looking for?" she asked the stranger all at once with a nice voice.

The strange lady stared at her for a while without uttering a word. She thought it rude but unknown to her, the lady was silently trying to nurse her anger, frustration, guilt and sadness—all mixed together— and not vent it on her.

"Hello? Excuse me? Can you hear me?" She asked the lady again with a confused expression.

The lady exhaled a sharp breath. "Get out of the way please. I want to go in."

It took her sometime to understand what the lady had said. She looked at the door then back at the lady who was clad on an obvious oversized trouser held tightly with a belt.

"Sorry. You can't go in. I don't permit strangers into my house." she said firmly.

"Already claiming what's not yours?" asked the stranger with a clipped voice.

"Please I don't know who you are but you have no right to say that to me," She said with a pinch of annoyance in her voice as she flung her braids over her shoulder.

"How sure are you?" the lady who had knocked earlier, eyed her. Her eyes moving from her braided ponytail hair to her make up face, her off shoulder top, her flare short, slightly washed jean skirt and to her lanky barefooted legs then back to her face. "My name is May and this is my husband's house" she admitted as much as she hated to. "and I should be the one asking you all these questions. Who are you? What are you doing in my house? Don't you have any shame young lady?"

May husband's second mistress —the exact one she had seen the night before— who had come to unlock the door, tried to process what the lady had said. "Wait. Are you sure you're not in the wrong apartment? Cause the owner of this house isn't married yet."

"If you're talking about one Mr. Edric David then yes and as I've already said, I'm his wife." She waved the ring, she hadn't had the guts to remove all these years of unhappy marriage, infront of her husband's mistress face. "Can I go in now?"

Unexpectedly but thankfully the younger lady who happens to be her husband's mistress, let her in without another word said between them and with a little hesitation at the door, followed behind her into the living room to continue watching the movie.

May entered her room to change her clothes. She really needed to remove them before guilty conscience killed her. Even after changing the clothes, his sweet body scent still clung on her. It was like he was every where. It didn't help that she could smell him.