38: SHATTERED JOY.

Not everything that weighs you down is yours to carry.

—Unknown.

.........................♥...........................

C H A P T E R 38:

May finally received the dialer but unfortunately, it disconnected before she could even say, "Hello". Worried and confused, she called Iby back but his line was switched off.

She didn't understand why such a thing would happen and it saddened her heart, yet, she was happy and relieved to have received his call after few weeks of trying to reach him but to no avail. He was back to Nigeria safely and that was something to be thankful for. She only wished within herself that she would see him before the week ends and maybe spend some time with him like she's used to.

On the other hand, Tega drove in silence, unsure of what to say to her. He knew she was still mad at him for the scene he created at the restaurant, but he had done what he did because of the love he had for her. He had thought reprimanding the waiter would show her that. He really wished she would reason everything with him. He really wished she would change her mind and be his to keep forever.

His car came to a stop in front of Edric's family house. He glanced at her, "I'm sorry for earlier," He apologized again.

"I'll go now." She opened the car door to step out, waving off his apology.

"Wait." He stopped her, gripping her hand. When she didn't move, he leaned forward and pecked her softly on her cheeks. May noticed that his demeanor changed to a surprise one by the fact that she didn't push him away but she didn't blame him, even her conscience was surprise as well.

"Thank you for tonight," She appreciated even if the night didn't go smoothly as planned but then, things don't always go as planned. Not so?

"Club Bara Tomorrow, exact time. Don't forget." He called after her, who was almost at the door front of the family house.

On hearing that, her neck snapped towards him. He winked at her, making a small smile to grace her lips.

"I won't." She assured, waving at him as he drove away and disappeared into the dark.

............

Saturdays were meant for sanitation. So May was busy helping Mama Edric with the house chores and making some clean up here and there. Edric had gone out to search for Bella. He had been calling her phone number but she had switched it off. He knew there was something fowl about her phone suddenly been switched off. It made him restless so he went to her friends house in search of her. while Maryam, who was now feeling quite better since her mother was around her, played with her toys in her room.

When May was done with cleaning up the house, she took some dirty clothes which compiled of hers, Edric's parents and Maryam's to the front of the old building to wash. Unlike Mama Edric who preferred washing clothes at the backyard of the house. As all this was been done, Mama Edric decided to prepare beans, pap and moi moi for breakfast.

While May fetched water from the well that was located at the left side of the compound, a car drove in, making the small birds that had gathered on the floor to fly away out of fear. She didn't need to look twice to know whom the car owner was because she was already too familiar with the car.

Out stepped Tega from the car in all his glory. He flashed her his signature smile but all May could think about was what he was doing at her house that early.