5: MYSTERY GUY HELPS.

"He started following me. He said, sister please wait. Don't be offended oh."
        Simisola (Jamb question)

The road that led to the market was muddy

The road that led to the market was muddy. There were annoyingly large potholes almost everywhere and the water that filled them made the air feel stagnant. May had to clutch the end of her long basket gown so it didn't drag on the muddy floor while she walked and jumped over the shallow pits. Not to mention the sand pieces stabbing her feet and clinging to her gown.

As usual, she wore her best smile, waving at the few people who returned the greeting. The stream of smiles and waves were interrupted when a tire bumped into one of the potholes and splashed water on her.

"Mr. Man, watch how you drive your car, na." She shouted after the driver, "Can't you drive slower? You see that the road isn't flat!"

"Oh, sorry my sister," a lady behind her consoled. "Don't mind him. Since he managed to buy that yeye car, he thinks he owns the road now. Lord, imagine what he'll do if he gets his hands on a private jet." The lady shook her head in disapproval.

"God wouldn't even think of blessing such an arrogant man like him with a private jet." Another passerby quipped, "He splashed water on that lady and can't even say sorry when she complained! Who does that mango head think he is?"

May snarled, thinking of how much worse her day could get as she attempted to wipe off the stains. But she only ended up spreading it more. She shook her head and continued walking.

Meanwhile, the driver had found a parking spot. He exited his car and leaned on it, waiting for her.

"Uhm... excuse me," He tried to get her attention when she got closer. "I'm really sorry-"

She cut him off with a smile. "It's okay. Apology accepted."

He gave a nod of understanding and she walked away, but she hadn't gone far when a young, tall, dark-skinned boy bumped on her.

"Sorry," he muttered hastily before running away. May barely even had time to wonder why the collision felt intentional before she realized the three thousand naira notes her husband had given to her was missing. How did he do it?

She started chasing him, screaming for assistance from the people in front of her, but nobody made a move to help. Everyone seemed to be minding their own business instead.

Already tired, she stopped to catch her breath. Angry at her shortness of breath, she chastised herself for not being the sporty type.

In a flash, someone ran past her. Looking up, May saw the driver in hot pursuit after the thief. She decided to wait and see the outcome.