43: A PIECE OF MIND.

“In the end you'll see who is fake, who's true and who would risk it all for you. And trust me, some people will totally surprise you! ”
                                   —Unknown.
........................................................

C H A P T E R 43:

For the first time in a long while, May actually went down on her knees and pleaded with Edric to let Iby go but he refused. He was bent on making Iby see the four walls of prison, forgetting that he was a dough bag himself, a scum but May had only divorced him instead of taking him to court for domestic abuse.

Not like she couldn't arrest him or make him suffer for what he did to her. Been the governor's daughter would've paid off and make it a lot easier of course. But she didn't want to be seen as using her Fathers influence, wealth and authority to her advantage or gossipped to have arrested Edric only because he arrested Iby. There was still something she needed to shape in her life and that was, to stop listening to what the world had to say about her.

It was because of Iby's arrest, she found herself standing in front of Tega's office desperately waiting for him.

Finally, she spotted him, walking casually towards her. They hugged, a brief but awkward one.

"What's up?" Tega asked, studying her face. "You sounded worried on phone."

"Tega," her voice shook with fear. What if Tega choose not to help her? They didn't separate on good terms. "I want you to help me, please.."

He became more interested, "What for? Who's in trouble? You?"

She nodded in negative.

"Or is it Maryam?" He asked.

"No. It's Iby.." The last word she said came out faint but Tega was able to grasp it.

He frowned, "What? You want me to help the guy you dumped me for?"

"It's not like that,"

"It's like how? I showed you how much I loved you. I gave you so many things to prove it. I gave you money, bought you clothes, jewelries.." He shook his head, restraining himself from saying any further how much he has spent on just her and Maryam, "It came to a certain point, I thought you loved me too. Oh how well you fooled me."

"No. That's not it." May disagreed, hoping he would believe her. He looked away from her but she forced him to look at her face. "I loved you. In fact I still do."

His demeanor softened as concern surfaced it, "Then what happened?"

"I love you, Tega but you have to understand that I'm not in love with you. They are two different things and that's what happened." He sighed but she continued, "Love isn't about giving out material things. You don't show love by doing so all the time. As much as I hate to admit it, you know that has always been all between us. We have never been romantically attached and of course, I cannot handle your insecurities, possessiveness and over protectiveness. You were suppose to be a distraction. Iby was away. I badly needed someone to distract me from always thinking about him and some how, you were there for that even if you weren't aware,"

Shock swept across his feature at her last sentence, "What? So I only meant a distraction to you all these while?"

May shifted her eyes to her feet, "No. During the time, I started questioning myself. I started having doubts if it was all for the distractions or if i wanted more." She sighed, rubbing her forehead. "See, let's just forget about this. I know God would give you the love I couldn't give you but that's not the reason why I am here. I need your help. Iby is in prison, he needs a lawyer. You're a lawyer and I'm aware you've never lost a case before."