7: OH. FATHER OH!

"I always find beauty in things that are odd and imperfect, they are much more interesting." -Marc Jacobs.

Everything seemed blurry when May finally opened her doe eyes

Her head felt too heavy for her neck to carry and the sharp pain throbbing from her jaw didn't help. She groaned, rubbing her eyes until she could see clearly, clumsily massaging her jaw.

She noticed her head was held up by the table. With force, she managed to stand up. Nausea rose in her throat when she found herself still in the living room where she had blacked out. She looked around and her eyes caught the ones of the one person she didn't want to see. Especially not so early in the morning.

It was bad luck. She was sure of it as she watched the mistress's lips slurping cooked noodles and
roasted fish. A bottle of Pure Heaven Wine sat near her plate to flush down the food.

May raised a brow at Bella, whose face contorted into a smug little smirk in return.

So Edric could afford to buy all this for his mistress but allow his wife and child to starve?

Wonders shall never end.

May decided to ignore Bella. She massaged her strained neck slowly, moving to the kitchen.

She splashed water on her face, hoping it would ease her pain and make her feel better, but it didn't. The grief in her heart was much worse than her throbbing muscles.

Normally, May would have gone to the backyard to brush her teeth as she watched the fowls fight over their food. She felt too weary for even that, so she resigned herself to the kitchen sink.

She wiped the particles of water surrounding her lip off with the back of her hand before turning
to look at the dirty plates left for her to wash. She was already getting used to the chores at home.

She sighed. When she opened the pot that was on top of the gas cooker, it was empty. Bella had used it to cook breakfast. She shook her head, wondering what her darling Maryam would eat when she woke up. It was Saturday and Maryam liked sleeping in when there wasn't school to
cut her slumber short.

For the next few minutes, May's hands were covered with soapy, lemon-fresh dish soap. She began to use the sponge to scrub the plates.

It took her about twelve minutes to finish washing the plates. She turned on the tap and started rinsing the plates one after the other. Then, she placed it carefully in the cupboard after drying it with a small towel. As she was wiping the second to the last plate, someone's hand-stretched
towards the sink and dropped another plate inside.

She turned to Bella, who was clad in a white chiffon shirt. A thick pink singlet still couldn't hide
her nipples and the cleavage area was too exposed, May thought.