11: TROUBLE'S CALLING.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
  –Anonymous

"Where do you think you're going?" Edric's voice caused May and Maryam to freeze

"Where do you think you're going?" Edric's voice caused May and Maryam to freeze. She was
leaving for church but he just had to come out of his room just when she was about to open the
door, spoiling everything for her.

"Church?" She answered for the second time, confusion making the word quizzical.

"So after I told you that you wouldn't go to church today, you still wanted to hide and leave?
Why are you so stubborn, May?"

"I'm not." The words came out before she could stop them.

His right brow shot up quizzically. "So what are you, If not stubborn? Or are you trying to call me a liar?"

May sighed bitterly. He was in a bad mood today. "I didn't say that–"

He cut her off. "So it has gotten to the point where you indirectly call me, your husband, a deaf and a dumb person, abi?"

"Edric," she almost whispered, already tired of her husband's attitude. It was frustrating. "What is it? What have I ever done to you? Why don't you want me to have peace?"

"I'll pretend like you didn't say that."

"Why don't you want me to go to church?" She pressed on.

"Isn't it clear already? I don't want you going about broadcasting it to everyone in church that I whipped you yesterday. Especially not to your pastor."

She looked at him with disbelief. "And why would I do that? I would never-"

He cut in. "Save that story for the gods. Right now, I want you to go into that kitchen, wash the plates, including the one Bella used to eat her noodles and fish yesterday."

May's mouth opened as she exclaimed. "Ah! Doesn't she have hands?"

He ignored her question and continued from where he had stopped. "When you are done, go into my room, you'll see a heap of clothes on the floor." He paused before adding a question. "Do I need to tell you what to do with them?"

She shook her head. "I'll wash them."

"Good."

When he walked away, May said to Maryam, who had been standing close to her. "Can you do me a favor, darling?"

Maryam gave a nod. "Yes, ma."

"Go bring out the clothes from your father's room while I wash the plates. When I am done, we
will both wash your father's clothes. How about that?"