Chapter Twenty-Two: Keep Holding On

Third Person

The night before the Cultural Festival, class 1-A was finally ready. Although, their new chosen song was completely different from the rock song they were going to use. Jiro is still singing, but now, Uraraka and Tsuyu are singing in the background. Bakugo is still playing the drums, Yaoyorozu plays the keyboard, while Kaminari and Tokoyami play an acoustic and electric guitar. Shoto, Sero, Kirishima, Midoryia, Shoji, and Aoyama are still on the staging team. The rest of class 1-A is dancing.

    Except, with their song, the dance is more slow and calm rather than one where you can breakdance too. So, the other students of class 1-A are slow dancing together, like at a ball. After the dispute with Gentle, Midoryia finally arrives at UA and gets into the costume. Claps ring out from the entire crowd, as the curtains are pulled back.

    Yamada Hizashi and Aizawa stand beside each other, "Among the audience are upperclassmen who harbor anxieties and doubts..about the new faces of UA. Those students aren't here for the entertainment, they're here to be critical."

    "I hope this isn't just some kind of game to them." One of the female upperclassman state, "They're just satisfying themsevles, aren't they? Putting on some..mediocre song and dance."

    Quickly though, the girl regrets her sentence, as the song begins.

    Play Keep Holding on by Avril Lavigne

    Yayorozu begins playing on the keyboard, while Tokoyami and Kaminari slowly join in. Immediately, the audience is hooked.

    Jiro takes a deep breath, before beginning the lyric, "You're not alone, together we stand. I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand. When it gets cold, and it feels like the end; there's no place to go, you know I won't give in."

    She can feel the emotions taking over as Bakugo begins playing the drums, "No, I won't give in. Keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through. Just stay strong! 'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you. There's nothing you could say, nothing you could do. There's no other way when it comes to the truth. So keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through."

    The audience cheers as Jiro hits a high note. Her eyes search the crowd, she smiles brightly as she notices Eri and Togata, but she can feel tears rise in her eyes as she can't seem to find (Y/N).

    Even so, she continues, "So far away, I wish you were here. Before it's too late, this could all disappear. Before the doors close, and it comes to an end. With you by my side, I will fight and defend. I'll fight and defend."

    Tsuyu and Uraraka sing in the background adding some 'ohs' in as well, "Yeah, yeah."

    Jiro lets the emotion that she and the rest of class 1-A had been bottling up since (Y/N) had first fallen into her coma, "Keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through. Just stay strong! 'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you. There's nothing you could say, nothing you could do. There's no other way when it comes to the truth. So keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through."

    "Hear me when I say, when I say I believe. Nothing's gonna change, nothing's gonna change destiny. Whatever's meant to be will work out perfectly."

    As the song heads into the last section, the dance crew dances across the stage with bright smiles, waltzing in sync with each other.

    Everyone from class 1-A, even the stage crew; who have surrounded the crowd from above, joins in, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! La da da da, la da da da, la da da da da da da da da! Keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through. Just stay strong. 'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you. There's nothing you could say, nothing you could do. There's no other way when it comes to the truth. So keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through."

    Jiro takes a breath, and the rest of the class continues to sing, "Keep holding on! Keep holding on! There's nothing you could say, nothing you could do. There's no other way when it comes to the truth. So keep holding on! 'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through."

    Jiro takes a deep breath, clearing her voice, "If you haven't all already knew, our classmate, (Y/N) Todoroki was injured so badly during the battle that she fell into a coma..that song we just sung, was dedicated to her!"

    She raises her fist in the air, as class 1-A and everyone else in the auditorium begins to cheer.

    "What are you talking about, Jiro?"

    Everyone snaps their necks over to see (Y/N) Todoroki, standing in her full glory.

    "I'm perfectly fine, and awake." the (E/C)-eyed girl giggles at everyone's surprised faces.

    She slowly steps up on stage, hugging her classmates individually. When Kirishima gets down from the top of the auditorium, she practically mauls him in a hug.

    "You scared me!" The girl hisses, playfully slapping the boy's face with a smirk on her own.

    "And you didn't scare me!?" Kirishima replies, squeezing her, "You were in a coma for a month or so, (Y/N)! The doctors never thought you were going to wake up!"

    "Oi, am I the only one who's not getting a hug?" Bakugo hisses from the drumset.

    (Y/N) giggles, rushing over and hugging the blonde.

    Soon, class 1-A gets off of the stage and puts their instruments away. As (Y/N) helps Yayorozu move the keyboard, she hears a squeal and can hear a very familiar girl crying. She turns to see Eri with Midoryia and Togata at her side.

    "(Y/N)!" She squeals, rushing over and hugging the (H/C)-haired girl's leg, "I'm so happy you're okay!"

    "Here (Y/N), I'll take that." Kaminari takes (Y/N)'s side of the piano out of her grasp so the girl can talk to Eri.

    (Y/N) bends down and hugs the white-haired girl tightly, "I'm sorry to have worried you so much. Just know, everything that happened wasn't your fault, and it was really my own choice to hurt myself like that, and risk my life to save you."

    Eri nods, "I know."

    Togata and Midoryia only smile at the girls as they catch up.

    For the rest of the day, everyone had a fun day. Eri and (Y/N) became like sisters, while Togata and Midoryia just hung in the background, letting (Y/N) be happy.

    Except she wasn't.

    (Y/N) Todoroki

    As I wave to Eri, Togata, Midoryia, and Aizawa as they leave the Cultural Festival, my mind drifts back the dream during my coma. As I slowly walk back to the dorms, the painful memories flood my mind.

    I remember waking up back at home, in the real world. Now that I mention it, I don't know if I was really dreaming. Maybe I did go back and I did talk to my parents. Everything I felt during the dream was pain though, either it was on my right side or my left. Of course, I assumed it was because of the frostbite and 3rd-degree burns but apparently not. When I was in my coma, those injuries completely healed, so why was I in pain?

    I'll tell you why.

    A villain came to see me in the hospital.