Chapter Twenty-Eight: Numb

Play Different World by Alan Walker (Above)

    Katsuki and Kirishima stare in dismay as (Y/N)'s face fades from view. The two boys drop to their knees, and for the first time in years, Katsuki and Kirishima begin to cry. The heroes near them are confused, but Mr. Aizawa knows exactly what's wrong.

    "Let's go." He mutters, waving the rest of the heroes off.

    Shoto, on the other hand, is standing as stiff as a brick wall. It's almost as if he's been frozen in time. He stares at the wall where the League of Villains took his sister away, tears rushing down his cheeks. Aizawa pulls him lightly, jolting him out of the daze. The heroes and the members of UA high head home. But when Kirishima, Katsuki, and Shoto enter the dormitories, Midoryia, and the rest of class 1-A rush to them.

    Kaminari is the first to speak, "Where's (Y/N), why...w-why are you all crying?"

    "S-She's.." Shoto clenches his teeth, cutting himself off as his legs give up and he falls to the ground.

    Luckily, Iida is fast enough to catch him and sit him and the others on the couch before they get hurt.

    Kirishima lets out a big sigh and covers his face with his hands, "We were able to capture the members of the Meta Liberation Army, but (Y/N) took on the League of Villains on her own. S-She got caught in a portal that someone created. And now..a-and now, the League of Villains has her. It's just like the training camp all over again. None of us could do anything! Now we don't know where she is and I can't-"

    The red-haired boy is cut off as the other members of class 1-A create a hugging circle. Although annoyed at the human contact, Katsuki sighs and settles into a hug with Kaminari.

    As the class hugs each other for a few moments, Katsuki's mind drifts to the moments before (Y/N) was..well the 'real' (Y/N)- back when he, Midoryia, and (Y/N) were going to the same primary school together.

    Midoryia, (Y/N), and Katsuki were sitting together alone in the classroom. It was early in the day, and all of their parents dropped them off much earlier than usual.

    The three friends were discussing heroes, mostly All Might.

    "I can't be a hero.." Midoryia sighed, earning himself a loud growl from (Y/N).

    "Yes, you can!" She had yelled, "You can become a hero, Midoryia! Maybe you're just a late bloomer!"

    Katsuki had scoffed, "There's no way Deku can be a hero! He's quirkless, below us! He wouldn't be able to survive the journey to be a proper hero!"

    (Y/N) rolled her eyes at the blonde boy, "Well, with a journey comes sacrifice...as long as Midoryia can sacrifice himself or other things, he can become a hero. Being a hero doesn't mean they have to have a quirk! Being a hero means that you have to make sacrifices to save others!"

    As the memory fades, the classmates' big hug circle is finally over, and everyone pulls away from each other. Midoryia, though, has his head in his hands as tears rush from his eyes and slide down his cheeks. All he ever wanted was for (Y/N) to be happy. Even though she doesn't remember the moments that they had before UA, he made a promise to her back then, and he still promises to keep that promise.

    "I'm going to be a hero, Kacchan!" Midoryia had said.

    "You go Midoryia!" (Y/N) had responded, "I'll be here to cheer you on!"

    Katsuki only scoffed, not bothering to reply.

    "Can you promise me something?" (Y/N) suddenly asked.

    Midoryia turned to her, "What is it?"

    The (H/C)-haired girl smiled, "Promise me that you will always try to save everyone, no matter the risk?"

    Midoryia's smile brightened, "Of course, I promise!"

    The green-haired boy smiles behind his hands as the memory fades, "We're saving her."

    Class 1-A turns to him, shocked, "HOW!?"

    Midoryia sighs, "I don't know." He flops back on the couch, "I just know I can't sit here and wait for the heroes to find her. I made a promise to her when we were kids, I will save everyone, no matter the risk of the situation. She may not remember this but...I do."

    Kirishima and the other boys who witnessed her kidnapping sigh. Then suddenly, Aizawa enters the dorms with an angry look plastered over his face.

    "You are not doing that." he hisses, "The heroes and I are handling the situation. (Y/N) will be back before you know it, just sit tight and we'll find her and get the League of Villains shut down."

    Hesitantly, the classmates all agree, that they'll wait for the heroes to do their job.

    (Y/N) woke up two days after her kidnapping.

    She glances around the room that she lays in, tiredly rubbing her eyes. Soon enough, Tenko enters and (Y/N) grinds her teeth, attempting to use the ground under her to attack but as she reaches her hand out, nothing happens.

    "Don't try to fight, Elementia." Tenko chuckles, "You're wearing a device that cancels out quirks. It can only be taken off by a key that I have, and it will shock you if you pull at it too hard. So, I suggest just giving in to the inevitable."

    (Y/N) swallows, "Fine, why did you even bring me here?"

    "Well, you're not even going to remember if I tell you." The blue-haired man replies, "Doctor, you can come in any time now."

    Soon enough, a short man with goggles and white hair enters the dark room with a device and syringe.

    "What are you going to do?" The (H/C)-haired girl hisses, as the Doctor attempts to grab her.

    "We're getting rid of your memories, (Y/N)..you'll be ours to corrupt. You will remember nothing." He responds.

    (Y/N) is then knocked unconscious, as the Doctor finally inserts the syringe and attaches the girl to a monitor.

    "She'll be out for two more days, we'll see if she remembers anything then. Keep the quirk-cancelling device on her even after that though, she might lie about the missing spots in her memory." The Doctor tells Tenko, "If you want to mess with her memories and manipulate them so she thinks that her friends are really the bad people, use the device she's hooked up to. It's a dream generator, but without memories now, that will give them to her."

    As the Doctor leaves the room, Tenko stares down at the (E/C)-eyed girl as her chest rises and falls evenly. A small smile sits on her face as she rests. The blue-haired man then glances at the dream generator, wondering if he should make the girl think that she's madly in love with himself..or possibly another member of the League. He shakes the thought from his head, and instead he uses the device to manipulate her memories. Tenko makes (Y/N) think that UA high cast her out for being too powerful. He makes her think that the League of Villains were the only people that she could go to for help. Tenko keeps the memory of Endeavor burning (Y/N) on the neck, except, he manipulates (Y/N)'s brain into thinking that all of her siblings were there as well, and that they did nothing. And as a final touch, he changes her last name to (L/N).

    The blue-haired man leaves the room smiling.

    "Have fun getting her back, heroes."