Chapter 17- Edward

Chapter 17

Edward

It had been a week since Ness had been hit by the car, there were rumours going around that she’d walked out in front of it on purpose, but I wasn’t so sure. I was still dating Vicky, much to my family’s disappointment. I was sat in the cafeteria on Friday with her and our friends, Bella was still off school with Jake while Alice and Jasper were sat on the other side of the room.

“What are you doing this weekend Edward?” Becca, Vicky’s friend asked.

“I think I’ll go to the hospital to see Ness,” I shrugged, “I’ve not been to see her yet.”

“Why should you?” Vicky looked to me, “It’s not as if she’s actually your sister, she’s only adopted.”

“She might as well be a sister to me.” I frowned, “She’s been in my life for as long as I can remember.”

“Did she throw herself at the car?” Becca asked.

“I don’t know.” I shook my head, “She’s still unconscious.”

“Yeah, but what do you think?” Vicky asked with a roll of her eyes.

“I think,” We all jumped at Alice’s menacing voice behind me, “That some people need to mind their own business.”

I turned to face my ‘sister’ with a little hope on my face that there had been some news from the hospital, Jasper shook his head, no. I turned back and pushed my untouched food away before getting up, “I’ve gone to get some air.”

I ended up sat on the stands that face out to the football pitch, the clouds reflected my mood. Nobody realised how much I missed Renesmee, how much she made all of us laugh and smile, how much she helped me, how kind and caring she always was to everyone. She didn’t deserve this. 

I knew she must’ve thrown herself at the car, she’d have seen and heard it coming, so why?

“Whatcha thinking?” Alice broke me out of my thoughts.

“Why would she throw herself into the road?” I sighed, “We all love her, so why?”

Alice shifted uncomfortably, did she know something?

“We don’t know for sure, but we think she was being bullied.” Alice admitted, “Jake said he saw some girls pushing her about in the corridor.”

“Who?” I looked to her, anger and hurt surfacing. Who dared to hurt my sister? My sister that I would do anything to protect (Not like she needed it though).

“Jakes description fits Vicky and Becca.” Alice looked to me sheepishly, “Sorry.”

“I’ll kill her.” I jumped up and stormed back towards the cafeteria.

“Vicky!” I barked as I walked over to her table.

“Hey Edward,” She smiled pleasantly.

“When was the last time you spoke to Renesmee?” I stood over her, my hands balled in to fists.

“Why?” A disgusted look crossed Vicky’s face.

“Answer!” I snapped.

“Last week sometime.” She shrugged off, “What does it matter, she’s not anything to you?”

“Did you push her in the corridor?” I growled, angry at her assumption.

“She tripped over my bag,” Vicky held up her spotless handbag and pointed to a random spot, “Look, she even marked it! I had a good mind to make her pay for a new one!”