Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“Bed time for you mister.” Carlisle said to Edward late one night, it was five months after we had received the note from the Volturi, in a week’s time Edward and would be starting school as his aging had changed to that of a normal human. Edward sat on the rug in front of the sofa with Jake as Carlisle and Esme lounged on the sofa, I sat in the armchair reading while they all watched television.

“Aww, but dad.” He complained.

“Come on Edward, you had a late night last night.” Esme argued.

“Just one more program?” He asked.

“No.” Carlisle shook his head, “Bed.”

“Come on Edward, I’m going to bed too.” Jake stretched and got up.

“And me.” I lied, Edward was none the wiser about what we where so we all pretended to go to bed at night for his sake.

“I’ll be up to check on you in a minute.” Esme called as the three of us headed up to our rooms. I knocked on Renesmee’s bedroom door before opening it, she, Rose and Alice were pouring over fashion magazines on her bed.

“Time for bed girls.” I told them.

“Alright.” Alice and Rose sighed.

“Night sweetheart.” I hugged Ness and shut the door behind me. I went to my room and changed in to some sweatpants and a t-shirt. I was lying on my bed with my sketch book as Esme came upstairs and said good night to Jake and then Renesmee before she came to Edward’s door.

“Come in.” Edward called.

“Ready for bed?” Esme asked and I could imagine the smile on her face.

“Yeah.” Edward sighed and I heard the rustle of fabric as the covers were pulled back.

“Is something the matter?” Esme asked him.

“It’s just...well…” Edward stuttered, “Mom, you know how I’ve been going out to town every Tuesday with Rose or Bella?”

“Yes.” Esme said slowly.

“It’s just… I’ve noticed that… you’re all… well… different.” Edward said slowly.

“Come downstairs with me.” Esme stood as Carlisle came up the stairs and in to my room.

“What do you want us to tell him?” He asked me, too quietly for Edward to hear.

“I don’t know.” I shook my head as I sat up on my bed, “It’s obvious we have to let him find out what we are but I don’t feel like I can tell him the exact story.”

“I understand.” Carlisle nodded, “We’ll tell him.”

“Thank you.” I smiled gratefully and looked back to my sketch that I hadn’t yet finished.

“Oh and Bella?” Carlisle turned back as he opened the door, “Brilliant sketches by the way.” He nodded to the half finished drawing of Edward and smiled before he went.

“What is it?” Edward asked as I heard Carlisle sit with Esme.

“Edward.” He started, “What makes you think we are different?”

“All of you, apart from Renesmee and Jake, have ice cold skin, you never eat human food and your eyes change colour.” Edward replied, “How can you be human?”

“Edward, we’re not going to hurt you.” Esme said gently.

“What are you?” Edward asked.