Chapter 18- Carlisle

Chapter 18

Carlisle

I looked up as I smelt Esme coming towards my office, I got up and opened the door, leaning there to wait for her.

“You look lost Ms,” I smirked as she hesitated at the crossroad next to my office. She smiled sweetly and sauntered over to me, “I’m looking for a doctor Cullen, I don’t suppose you know where I could find him?”

“Why don’t we step in to my office and we could discuss his whereabouts.” I smiled as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I leant down to kiss her gently as we stumbled in to the office and shut the door.

“Hmm,” I pulled back, “What would Dr Cullen say?”

Esme laughed, throwing her head back to look up to me, “Bella’s gone hunting, Edward’s with Ness.”

I raised my eyebrows as we sat in the office chair, her across my lap, “How come?”

“He broke up with Vicky.” Esme explained, “I don’t know the details but he found out she was bullying Ness.”

“He broke up with her?”

“In front of the whole cafeteria,” Esme nodded, her mouth set in a grim line, it sounded like he’d taken it pretty hard, “He blames himself for Ness jumping in front of the car.”

I sighed and shook my head, he was a perfectly innocent bystander in all of this. Esme got my attention by resting her arms on my shoulders and clasping her hands at the back of my neck, her eyes were distant as if she were remembering something, “Edward told Bella to go hunting, he said he’d stay with Ness while she went.” She looked back to me and gave a small smile, “It was almost like he was her dad again.”

I returned a forced smile to her, “It’s better than nothing.”

Esme forced a nod and hid her face in my shoulder, her voice broke as she whispered, “I miss him,”

“I know.” I was choking up myself, we all knew that right now Nessie wanted and needed both her parents there for her. Arguably they were both here, it was just one of them didn’t realise how much closer to her he should have been.

“We all want him back,” I whispered as she sobbed in to my shoulder, “But we just have to be patient.”

My wife’s body shook as she let out all the frustration she felt towards our son.

When Esme had calmed down we got up and headed to Ness’ room. We hesitated outside, Edward was humming as he sat in the armchair, a tune we recognised that he shouldn’t have known.

“Is that ?” Esme looked to me, I nodded once and finished for her, “Bella’s lullaby.”

That almost started Esme’s tears all over again as she held on to me tightly and we went in.

“Hey,” Edward looked up to us before looking to Ness, “She’s asleep now.”

“What were you humming?” Esme asked softly as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

Edward shrugged and looked to Nessie, “I don’t know, I heard it somewhere.”

“Did you talk to her?” I asked him. 

“Yeah,” He didn’t turn to look at me as he spoke, his gaze was fixated on her face, “She said that I shouldn’t blame myself.”

“You … stopped humming,” A weak, soft, yet accusing voice commented.