17 | By your side

▷ By your side - The 1975

By your side - The 1975

«You think I'd leave your side, baby? You know me better than that»

___

[DON'T PLAY THE SONG YET!]

JOSIE PYE is telling the girls every single detail about her prom dress — a beautiful, lilac, sleeveless, long dress — when her eyes spot a redhead in the parking lot.

The gang is gathered up in a small circle at the foot of the steps that lead to Avonlea's Secondary School's main entrance. It's Tuesday now, mid-May.

Unbothered by the girl talk, Moody, Billy and Jerry talk about the latest Netflix show they've been binge-watching. As for Gilbert Blythe, eyes fixed on his phone, he scrolls down Instagram, checking if Anne's posted something.

Last thing she posted was a picture of her with Charlie and the Empire State Building begins them, flashing a smile to the camera.

So I guess she's doing alright after all.

"Is that Anne?" Josie points out to the figure of the parking lot. That's all it takes for Gilbert to stand up abruptly — all eyes lie on him.

There's a wave of red hair moving between the parked cars, she's wearing a loose, flowery, dark dress that reaches above her knee. "Yeah, it's her" Gilbert whispers before jogging her way, meeting her half way.

He's the only one that runs to her. He stands now right in front of her, panting and wiping a few curls away from his forehead.

"You're back!" he blurts out just when he sees her. Wide eyed, she looks at him, raising her eyebrows in tremendous surprise.

"Yes" she says, blinking twice at the realization of seeing him again. It's only been like ten days but it's felt like years. "Hi"

"How- how's Charlie?"

Charlie, seriously? Is that the first thing you're going to ask her about, Blythe?

"He's alright" she says, looking down at her feet for a few seconds. Then she lifts up her eyes to her friends, still sitting on the school steps, away from them.

It's just Gilbert and her.

"And... how are you?" he asks. He's acting quite awkwardly — he's not the teasing, flirty and kind-of-an-ass Gilbert Blythe. Instead, he's nervously fiddling with his fingers as he looks at her, his head tilted to a side.