08 | Single

▷ Single - The Neighbouthood

Single - The Neighbouthood

«When you're in the room you get my eyes, you open your mouth I'm hypnotized»

___

January 11th

MATTHEW CUTHBERT used to spoil her daughter with all kinds of things: vinyls, albums, boots, dresses... He always went to a shop downtown that's been Anne's favorite choice for clothes since she entered her teenage years. Somehow, the old man understood her style, and every once in a while walked home with a box that contained another pair of combat boots or a brand new skirt.

Anne leaves that exact same store on a cold Friday afternoon after having bought a long-sleeved velvet wine-red top that will go perfect with her black leather skirt. She's putting on her gloves when he sees him walking her way — dark grey coat, black scarf and a beanie that can't cover all of his dark curls.

Apparently, Gilbert Blythe has a habit of bumping into her.

"Shirley" he breathes out, scanning her face. She's clearly happy to see him — it's the same expression she wears whenever they run into each other: crinkled eyes, a smile that creeps up her face.

"Gilbert! What are you doing here?"

"Just some grocery shopping" he holds up a bag of mixed fruit and vegetables. "You?"

"Just bought something for tomorrow's party" she mimicks his actions, holding the bag with her left hand. "I wanna look pretty"

"You're pretty anyway" he blurts out, suddenly regretting his honesty impulse.

"Thank you" she blushes, not expecting his words. "Are you going?"

"Oh, I can't" he says. "It's movie night with my dad"

"Oh, another time maybe?"

Fuck. She really wanted to see him tomorrow. But she understands that he wants to spend time with his dad. Movie night. Sounds amazing. Her mind drifts to her movie nights with Matthew, how he loved cowboys and John Wayne's movies and how they always ordered their favorite pizza from their favorite pizza place. Pepperoni and extra cheese.

"Shirley?"

"Oh, yes, sorry, I doze off" she shakes her head, trying to remind herself not to drift away like that. "What did you say?"

"I asked if you wanted to take a... photo?" his hand is holding his phone now. "We don't have any together"

"Sure!"