Gilbert's mixtape for Shirley

[This is not an update per se, but since I decided to post this since you've been so cute with all your votes and comments, so consider it a present until I post chapter 11 hehe]

___

The night of the 5th of March, when her birthday party's over and her friends are gone, Anne locks herself up in her bedroom. After having watched a few YouTube tutorials, she plays with the strings of her new ukelele, learning the chords to a familiar and simple song.

She's about to go to bed when her eyes find something in her desk. It's Gilbert's present.

She could just wait until tomorrow, but curiosity wins her over and, instead, she gets up and grabs her new Walkman and the mixtape he recorded for her.

There's a handwritten note that catches her eye. Gilbert truly cared about details. She smiles at his messy handwriting. It's titled "Gilbert's mixtape for Shirley"

Happy birthday, Shirley.

Here's a list of songs that I thought you might like. The first one is an extra present, I know you love that one. As for the rest, I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed selecting them for you.

01 Hand in glove - The Smiths

02 Idfc - blackbear

03 Nothing's gonna hurt you baby - Cigarettes after sex

04 Dreaming of you - The Coral

05 Enjoy the silence - Depeche Mode

06 It's you - Ali Gatie

07 Thinking 'bout you - Frank Ocean

08 No surprises - Radiohead

09 I wanna be yours - Arctic Monkeys

10 Your song - Elton John

Note: Listen to #8 when you can't sleep.

Your friend,

Gilbert Blythe.

Anne caresses the surface of the mixtape with soft fingers. Nobody's ever done anything like this for her before. She's gotten great birthday presents throughout her life, but no one's ever given much thought about her — no present has ever been this personal.

She turns her Walkman after lying back on her bed, falling asleep to the beat of track #8. The lyrics are not happy or soothing at all, but the instrumental makes it sound almost like a lullaby.

No alarms and no surprises, please.

It doesn't take too long for her to finally fall asleep with her headphones still on.

The night of her eighteen birthday, Anne Shirley-Cuthbert dreams of music, late-night drives, grey shirts and curious hazel eyes looking back at her.

___