15 | No surprises

▷ No surprises - Radiohead

No surprises - Radiohead

«No alarms and no surprises, please»

___

[DON'T PLAY THE SONG YET!]

May 3rd

FRED WRIGHT's birthday comes with the arrival of spring. The gang has gathered to prepare his surprise party, hosted at Ruby's. Considering the girl enjoys hosting parties more than attending them, she's done a good job with the birthday-themed decoration.

As for Diana Barry, she's assigned different tasks to every single person in the house.

Anne and Diana are getting drinks and snacks ready, enjoying a comfortable silence in the kitchen, moving from one side to another, until Diana speaks.

"He doesn't ever stop looking at you" Diana says, looking over her shoulder at Gilbert, who is inflating some balloons in the living room with Jane. From the corner of his eye, catching only Diana's attention, he watches Anne putting chips on a bowl.

"I know" Anne says.

"You do?

"Of course I do, he's not any subtle about it" Anne sighs in faked exasperation, trying to convince Diana of the fact that she's annoyed at Gilbert's intense staring.

But the truth is she's not bothered at all. She secretly loves it, and she doesn't even notice half of the time — those hazel eyes barely leave her when she's in the same room as he is.

"He seems to be pretty fond of Jane now, don't you think?" Anne blurts out. She regrets her words instantly, because her voice sounds saltier than she'd like to admit.

"Do you like him?"

That question again.

"Di, do we seriously have to talk about this again? I already told you guys — I'm with Charlie" she says, closing her eyes in frustration. "Happily in love with Charlie"

"I know you're dating Charlie. But that's not what I asked" Diana stops what she's doing and walks over to Anne, around the center island. "I'm your best friend"

"I don't know"

"You don't know?"

Anne makes sure nobody's close enough to listen before answering Diana's question.

"I... he's just... he has everything I like in a person... and I got kinda jealous when Josie told me about him and Ella and I'm not... happy at the sight of him and Jane being so close out of the sudden, okay?" Anne's rambling now. Diana listens attentively as she speaks, raising her eyebrow and crossing her arms over her chest. Anne only rambles like this when she's nervous or concerned about something. "But I don't have the right to be jealous, he's not my boyfriend"