14 | A light that never goes out

▷ There's a light that never goes out - The Smiths

There's a light that never goes out - The Smiths

«To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die»

___

[DON'T PLAY THE SONG YET!]

JERRY BAYNARD has never had a date in his seventeen years of life. But there's always a first time for everything, right? That's what they say, anyway, he thinks. Although what's been occupying most of his thoughts lately is that, if he's definitely not ready for a first date, how the hell is he going to face other first-times? A first kiss? He's already freaking out.

That Saturday afternoon, he's at Gilbert's. Or Fred's. Or both. Fred has been living at the Blythe's for a week now. Jerry doesn't have a clue about the reason for the two of them living together, but he's not going to ask either — it looks like personal stuff and one thing Marilla's thought him is not to mess with other people's business.

In the meantime, Fred Wright is playing with his guitar's strings, humming the lyrics of a song that's unknown to Jerry. "You look terrified" he says, looking up to Jerry.

"Terrified?" he exclaims — despair in his voice. "I'm mortified!"

Jerry paces from one side of the room to another. Gilbert is sitting on the floor, nose stuck on a book. "Just relax, it's just a girl — she won't bite you" he chuckles.

"Unless you ask her to" Fred remarks between snickers with the wink of an eye.

"Yeah, easy for you two to say" Jerry scoffs. "You" he says, pointing to Fred "have your sad punk rock boy with your guitar charms". His words only make Fred laugh as he keeps playing with different chords. "And you" he turns to Gilbert "have never had a girlfriend in your entire life because all you do is make out with random girls"

Gilbert closes the book, marking the page he was reading with his index finger. "Maybe because I've never found a girl to share more than physical stuff with?" he says, raising his eyebrows.

"Maybe" Fred bites his lip to hide a knowing smile.

"The thing is..." Jerry starts to say, dropping his body on Gilbert's bed, next to Fred. "What do I have for her to like me?"

"You're incredibly funny" Fred says.

"Loyal" Gilbert adds.

"Sarcastic piece of shit"

"You always kick my ass at video games?" the hazel-eyed boy adds from the floor.

"And you're very handsome, Jerry-boy" Fred says, leaning closer to him, guitar still in his hands. He's making smooching sounds that make Jerry laugh and relax a bit.