Chapter 5 | No Blinding Light

It was a smothering darkness. The dark air seemed to wrap itself around the two boys. Pushing on their chests, sucking the breath out of them. 

          An overwhelming silence, no sound protruding from either of the boys mouths as they sat masked in the darkness. 

          No thoughts, nor words were escaping his mind, for his thoughts were captivated in the deep night slumber. Kyle kept opening his mouth, then closing it again; his mind unable to formulate the words. 

          "Stan?" Kyle whispered, as if they were hiding from someone. He cleared his thought softly, trying to be as quiet as possible. The only sound was the rustling of the autumn trees, the howling of the cold breezes, and the sound of blood hammering in his ears. 

          "Where are you?" he didn't move, trying to stay as still as possible, although he did not know why he was staying so still. 

          The tumult of an individual shuffling along the bedroom floor made Kyle shudder, for he did not know where the sound was coming from. 

          "I am right here Kyle" Stan finally uttered, making Kyle's thrashing heart start to calm itself down. "It's okay" Stan's voice sounded heavy, deep; it added to the deep gloom they were inbezeled in.

          "I'm here" Kyle attempted moving closer to the source of the voice, Stan's voice. His hand brushed against the body of another and he almost let out a loud shriek. He soon realized that it was Kyle's thigh. Stan's words were hoarse, crackling, his breathing was short unsteady and unsettlingly loud. His voice crackled with every agonizing breath.

          "Stan, are you okay?" Kyle asked, feeling his head bump into the stomach of Stan and Stan started to moan. Without thinking, Kyle reached through the darkness, and grabbed Stan's wrist for comfort. 

          It was quiet for a second, and nobody spoke a word for some reason. Kyle would have reached for his phone, but he soon remembered that his phone was charging half way across the room. If Kyle was fearless? Sure he would have headed into the creepy darkness. Was he fearless? Hell no. 

          The silence was broken only by a fit of coughing, wheezing out from Stan. Kyle jumped, and felt for Stan once again. "Oh shit, Stan! Stan, are you okay?" Kyle buzzed, his heart started to pound harder in his heart attack ridden chest. No answer.

          Kyle felt a fit of panic overwhelm him and he lept up onto his feet. "Fuck! Fuck! Stan?!" Kyle's chest started to cave in Anxiety, something that was not a stranger to him. "ANSWER ME GOD DAMN IT!" Kyle yelled suddenly, his anger outbursts, another friend to Kyle's mind. 

            Then, the loud breathing stopped. Altogether, Stan wasn't breathing. He was having an asthma attack.