When History Meets Fiction

Hi! The following contains spoilers, you have the free will to continue reading or not ☺

Eleonor Benitez is based from Pura Villanueva's legacy. The following are lists of their similarities and differences. Just to distinguish where is fiction and history in this story:

Similarities:

1. Birthyear
— 27 June, 1886 (Eleonor's)
— 27 August, 1886 (Pura's)

2. Journalist
— Both Eleonor and Pura were graduates of Journalism and worked as a journalist. They owned a column in the newspaper that talks about women in the society.

3. Altas
— They're both princessess in their era.

4. Beauty Queens
— The first Ms. Philippines. Both are 22 years old when they reigned the oriental.

5. Coronation
— The panuelo, when Eleonor wore her mother's own creation instead of a red gown, when she wasn't given the same approach as the Americans did to the occidental queen. When Eleonor was hindered at the entrance of the ball, and decided to not attend that lavish ball because of what happened. These happenings were Pura's experiences.

6. Suffrage
— Both are advocates of women's right to vote. They led the suffrage that happened in 1937. It was a fight that they won and women were finally allowed to vote.

7. Married in 1910
— Eleonor married Doctor Rubio, a teacher and doctor.
— Pura's husband is a lawyer and editor.

8. Advocacies for Women
— Eleonor established an association that would cater to pregnant women. Especially her fight for mothers to have clean milk were same as Pura's.

9. Writer
— In the later part of their lives, Pura and Eleonor have penned books about how Filipinas got the vote. Anthology of Filipino Women Writers, Outstanding Filipino Women. They also wrote one of the earliest cookbooks in our history.

Differences:

1. Physical Appearance
— Eleonor has prominent Filipina features. From her kayumanggi skin, her long black hair, her jawline, her not so pointed yet not that flat nose. She's also a petite Filipina with bold personality.
— Pura's mother is Spanish, and the Spanish features are evident in her physical attributes.

2. Hometowns
— Pura came from a rich family in Iloilo.
— Eleonor lived in Parian, Cebu.

3. Establishing an Association
— Eleonor established TINGOG in her academy in 1906. Whereas Pura created the Asosacion de la Feminista Ilonga in that same year.

4. Beauty Pageant
—Eleonor became the Oriental Queen of the first Pista ng Pilipinas.
—Pura is the first queen of Manila Carnival. She was hailed as the queen of the orient.

5. Offsprings
— Eleonor is a mother of two boys.
— Pura has two daughters.

6. Family Ties
— Eleonor's mother came from a political clan in Cebu. Her father is a competent doctor that's based in Manila. This has nothing to do with Pura's family background.

7. After the reign
— Eleonor went back to Cebu and continued her advocacies. Teaching the children to read and write, help the mothers and protect women's rights.
— Pura stayed in Manila, and works as a journalist for Woman's Outlook— it's a suffragist publication. She's also the president of Women's Club of Manila.

~♥~

"Why didn't I just write about Pura Villanueva instead of creating a fictional character that's somehow similar yet different from her?"

— It's because there were only few books and articles that discussed about Queen Pura. As much as I want to write a biography about her, it's hard. I can't just write about her without legit sources that this stuff actually happened in her life. Or that she actually stated this during her era. If given the chance, I'd conduct a much thorough research about her life. I might go to her hometown or even interact with her descendants. But for now, I just rely on books, documentaries and articles. Kasi akoy dukha lamang. LOL :)

"Why did I still pursue to write this?"

— I want the younger generations to know about her. That's why I put a disclaimer on the first part that this story is just inspired from the legacy she gave to us. Because, personally, I think that this woman's fight is ought to be known and shared. Pura established one of the earliest suffragist association, at her young age she's already fighting for women's rights. Pura, together with those women who fought with her gave us—the younger generations—to have a voice, to also have the same power that men have. They paved the way for us to join the elections, to be elected and have the right to choose who to elect. These women believed in the strength and intelligence of women. That's why, for me, it's a crucial thing on whom I'd cast my vote, because I know that our ancestors fought for us to have this privilege. And that we should not take this power for granted.

Lastly, the harassment, the miscarriage, Candida's storyline, Eleonor's lovestory and other subarcs ARE FICTIONAL. The similarities and differences stated above were the only things that connect Eleonor to Pura. Other than those, are already product of my imagination.

—InThatCorner ♥

P.S. Eleonor and Juan Antonio don't have a perfect relationship. They also went through lots of marital fights. Their relationship might not be the focus of this story but Juan Antonio plays a big part in Eleonor's life. They brought out the best of each other. It might not be a teleserye like lovestory, but I hope I was able to convey the warmth of their love through those quiet moments :)