Chapter 11~ Freedom March

Nov 9th, 2038 12:04:04 PM

Markus's POV

I stood on top of a rooftop, looking out over Detroit.

"I was wondering where you were..." Melody said, walking over to me.

Status: Melody: Companion

"I needed to think..." I told her, not looking at her.

"I like it here... I come to places like this often... It's like being alone with the world. We freed hundreds of your people, and they're still coming from all over the city... Those who dream of freedom come to Jericho... Something's changing... You seem preoccupied..." Melody said, concerned as I turned to look at her.

"They all obey me, they follow me without question... And that much power feels good...and scary at the same time..." I admitted, sitting down.

"Being put into a position of power is always scary Markus. But you're handling it so well. You think you're floundering, but you're not. You're succeeding. All the media are talking about what we did last night... The Humans are terrified... They're afraid of a civil war... Many of your people were burned in response to what happened... The humans hate us... Your kind, and mine alike. They'll never just... give us our freedom. They're scared of what they can't understand. But I'll be here to help you if you need it. Don't be scared to ask for help. It just makes you a stronger leader. Trust me on that," Melody said, crouching to look me in the eye.

"No, not all Humans are the same. Some of them understand that they can't stop us from becoming free forever..." I countered.

"You're right. But most are scared of what they don't understand or are scared of what is different from them."

"Hey, Melody?"

"Yeah?"

"What was your life like... before all of this?" I asked.

"I was raised in Detroit, right next to Carl's house. I went to school here, didn't have many friends because of my differences. My parents left my siblings and I here to finish high school and I was to go back home after. I did and finished my private schooling for the family business. The whole time though, I wrote. It kept me sane. Every so often, I'd come back for a few days, and publish one of my books, always making sure to send a copy to Carl. He made me promise years ago that when I published something, I would send him a copy. This year, in March I moved back to this planet, and about a month ago I moved back to Detroit. I missed it, and it felt like something else was calling me back. I lived pretty simply for a while, just writing and taking care of my animals. Until the day I met you. You've led me on an adventure, so I guess I should thank you," Melody said, finishing her story.

"There's something you're not telling me, isn't there?" I asked.

"I don't want to talk about it..."

"Melody, we're fighting together. We have to know things about each other to trust each other."

"When I was little... my mom took two of my sisters and me out around Detroit. One of my sisters was abducted. I'm a triplet, so she called for me telepathically. When Transmonians are little, we don't have a lot of power reserve and... I used mine to switch places with her. I found myself tied to a metal table. I wasn't alone, bodies of little girls littered the floor, and there was a man there. What he did to me..." She stopped talking, her body shaking.

"Melody... I'm so sorry..." I hugged her.

"It went on for years. He told me if I didn't go back, he'd kill my sister. I couldn't let anything happen to her, and I thought I could take it... I'm a monster anyway..."