III. INVITATION

morning's rays blindly hit on the glass panes in [your name]'s bedroom and she immediately remembered that she forgot to close the curtains last night. in agony, she groaned to exaggerate her own enjoyment to this new particular, bright day.

she stretched her stiff muscles and earned early & satisfying pops from her body. veronica has not woken her up so she speculated she was unusually early.

     much to her unsurprised face, the door opened to reveal veronica carrying a silver cart containing her usual beverages. this time, there was a triangular scone on a finely drawn plate. it was littered with sugar and frosting that zig-zagged on top. the sweet aroma of it fumed her nose.

     ❝ good morning, my lady. ❞ the butler greeted as she rolled the cart close to the edge of her bed.

        she gave herself up in a sitting position on the comforts of her bed, allowing veronica to give her the crack of dawn's drink. cautiously, she brought the cup to her lips and inhaled its salted caramel scent then took a good amount of sip. her body temperature was instantly engulfed by warmth.

❝ morning veronica, are there any mail? ❞ she questioned and wrapped the scone with her delicate fingers after washing her hands with a drenched cloth. a colorful burst of taste exploded in her mouth and she eagerly devoured in additional. veronica nestled a fancy envelope on her lap.

it had a red wax that was stamped on the center to refrain from unlocking it, which was convenient. she lifted her hand and her butler instinctively followed her orders by placing a letter opener on her empty palm. gingerly, she carved the thick solid crimson in a horizontal line and its fragments spewed out but she paid no care.

leniently, she unfolded the letter and it appeared to be an invitation that opened to the recent passengers that came from the boat that she rode. her eyes roamed on the refined and sophisticated penmanship that raised her interest & admiration. whoever wrote this letter must have a remarkable passion for calligraphy.

❝ would you like some more coffee, madam? ❞ asked veronica as she was near into filling her cup. [your name] answered with a small nod and once again, her cup was stuffed.

she resumed on reading the letter until she let out a low chuckle, ❝ veronica, do you happen to know a man by the name of ciel phantomhive? ❞ she inquired and almost spilled her drink, ❝ because i do, and from gathering information in the newspaper, i can tell he's a certain person who adores elevating esteems from other people. its honestly amusing. ❞

❝ he is evidently known as the queen's guard dog, ❞ monotonously replied veronica, ❝ he is the earl of the phantomhive's and the last alive. his parents perished in a terrible fire which left him on his own but there was this butler who strangely appeared and then usually glued to his side. ❞

        [your name] cupped her chin while her brows furrowed in deep thought, ❝ how tragic, yet it occurs to me how mysterious a butler shows up. doesn't he have any relatives to look after him? ❞

          ❝ if i can recall, his aunt, madam red is deceased and his other aunt, francis midford is still alive. ❞ that caused suspicions to increase in her perspective as she dug her thoughts deeper.

       a frown was curled to her face, ❝ then why doesn't he live with her rather than living in a manor with his butler? ❞ a funny expression crawled, ❝ it seemingly appears he's figuratively isolating himself rather than the butler acknowledging his presence. ❞ she thickly took a sip of her coffee.

❝ it seems so, lady [your name], ❞ veronica half-heartedly chuckle then her tone dropped into a low, inauspicious octave, ❝ I can hardly imagine what occupation the butler is employed to, or a shell of itself. ❞ her eyes formed into icy slits of swampy-ocean that can easily shatter a stone.