XXVI. PAST

the weather was luminously resplendent with the cumulus silver clouds floating in the aquatic-colored sky and the sun casting florescent rays on the trees. its lush and flourishing leaves were transparent by the light. sparrows perched on the branches, twittering merrily.

children were spreading in the fields, either chasing each other or picking vivid and polychromatic flowers. they exhibited an optimistic beam, which was plastered on their faces and it showed an optimistic bliss. the setting was rather vivacious, that one might assume the world was carefree.

look, sister bridgette! i made you a flower crown! a girl, living around the age of six or so, was scrambling towards a woman who was a nun. the nun showed a warm mellow smile, indicating she was silently admiring at the magnificent aspect. her clean silver eyes were attached on the prodigious handiwork the toddler created.

it appeared like a halo, although the material was meticulously braided by sturdy roots. roses in all shapes and sizes were position in random places, their vermillion petals emitting a fresh glow.

        the platinum-eyed woman returned her gaze to the vibrant youth, they're beautiful, her words fell off her tongue as the feathers slowly descending to the floor, now go play with big brother christian. she ushered her to the scrawny and lanky boy whose nose was buried in a book under a tree.

a pout danced on the child's lips, christian doesn't want to play with me, sister bridgette. he says i'm too 'pyoorel'? 'puerile'?, she questioned at the unfamiliar words, and he told me i should hang out with the other children around my age. her back rested on the cushioned grass, her features expressed in dejection.

         humming in delight, the nun patted comfortingly on the youth's head, he's pretentious for his own old cynical soul, she glanced at the mentioned boy, how would you like about this; you can give the crown to christian and eventually he will relinquish that book of his. she suggested, a lenient smile graced on her mouth.

           the little girl bounced in excitement from the grass and she clutched on the flower crown, that's a good idea, sister bridgette! i'll do it! she scrambled towards the boy, who was oblivious to the rushing presence.

         'sister bridgette' chuckled as she watched him being tackled to the ground by the little girl who carried a joyful expression. 'christian' who was caught off-guard, yelled and lectured her. she could care less because she maintained her bright features despite his infuriation. instead, she settled the flower crown on top of his curtain tailed frame.

a tint of blush of embarrassment was evident on his cheeks and she giggled, you can't just lunge at me unceremoniously!

i don't care whatever that word means, all i wanna do is to play with you! she beamed, leaning near to his face, you know, i was going to give this to sister bridgette but then i realized i should give this to you! his face aroused to anger.

you're such a hypocrite, she gave you that idea, didn't she? he scowled at her. normally, any youth would be frightened under his strong, sharp gaze. but this girl remained grinning happily at him.

what idea? she feigned a dumbfounded look, craning her neck to the side.

he tugged on his tresses in irritation, frowning, can't you just play with the other children?