XIV. THE NIGHT BEFORE

an immense gust of wind brushed past the thick wisps of charcoal hair and surprisingly it clings on certain flaming clover eyes. it narrowed suspiciously as it watched the flickering honey hues staring back behind a shrub. veronica hindered her pace in alert when she noticed a light scintillation reflecting under the spherical lunar. remotely from the intruder, she stopped and fleetly ducked a speeding bullet after the flashing 'bang!' emerged out of the bush. several ammo followed and it targeted her restlessly whilst she dashed among the hunter.

as if being dragged out of gravity, she leaped and landed on a dense rugged tree branch, which was perfect for a bird's eye view. she scanned thoroughly amidst the garden when she located another shrubbery that was shuddering like mad. a noise thrummed in her throat, indicating she was humming a sirenic tune.

another miniature missile fired towards her direction and she expertly caught it, using the very tips of her finger pads. her hand flattened into a surface and shedded over her eyes then darted the lethal bullet she held at the exact mileage where the source of the shooter was at. a satisfied smirk made its way to her lips whilst dusting off the imaginary dirt on her hands. she hopped off of the wooden stem and proceeded to stroll down the scattered pebblestones that were displayed as a trail to the exit.

         ❝ that was an excellent performance, however, you did not eliminate him, ❞ an orotund voice rang into her ears, making her cock her head to the side and see that the bluenette was indeed in her sight but not her mind playing tricks with her, ❝ we both know that it's insufferable to abolish a demon, especially for a scoundrel one. ❞ he huffed and his cane supported him when he rose from the bench.

        veronica wrinkled her forehead, intrigued with his erratic dialogue, ❝ hmm, was that sarcastically directing against those two horned beasts? i mean, i'd understand the struggle, their species are such a nuisance. ❞ she rolled her green-beryl irises and wasn't aware of the strong vermillion gaze that was burning in her soul.

              ciel was entertained by her frank judgement, as well as the intense blazing eyes of his own butler,  ❝ nuisance, you say? ❞ his sapphire eye glazed with interest, ❝ you're different than all of the witches i've read about in the history books. ❞ he commented and his eyebrow pitched up in wonder.

              she frowned, her brows furrowing in disgust, ❝ you children are so engrossed with books that aren't even real yet you chose to believe them! so juvenile and distasteful. ❞ her words spat in venom.

      ❝ and somehow, demons, grim reapers, witches, and any other unworldly beings exists in this era. ❞ he retorted cleverly, stating the obvious. sebastian stepped out of the dark void and she was greeted by a malicious smile.

❝ i'm enlightened by your fine words, miss bishop. ❞ his velvet voice flowed as the thin body of water. a deep grimace spread on her face like wildfire.

       she shook her head and attempted to flee, but his chest blocked her from doing so, ❝ may i be excused? ❞ she asked as her face turned even more indignant upon seeing his amused smirk.

❝ no, you may not be excused, ❞ ciel encountered, creasing the bridge of his nose, ❝ sebastian, would you please? ❞ his eye oriented directly to the butler, who was in front of the uncomfortable veronica. sebastian dipped his head humbly and departed after lifting up.

❝ i'm sure you have various questions, ❞ beckoning, she referred to the bench for him to sit on and he complied, ❝ ask away. ❞ she raised her gloved hand to the side, gesturing for him to proceed.