XI. KEEP RUNNING

❝ you can put me down now. ❞ he huffed, folding his arms in irritation and she gleefully obeyed, gently setting him down. ciel granted her a face of confusion since he was still amazed by her endurance. she chuckled softly at his astounded reaction and was amused by his eye sparkling with curiosity. however, there was something that drew his attention after the last words that left to her mouth.

                   [your name] intertwined both of her palms together on her back, strolling casually as if nothing insane and unsafe had happened, ❝ are we still seeking for mr. trancy? ❞ she asked, although the answer was simply obvious, hence his eye roll, ❝ duh, evidently we are. ❞ the side of her fist lightly hit on her forehead, committing a scoff at her own self. he shoots an uncanny face to her, examining her personality.

                ❝ may i ask how did you predict the room was about to be wafted by a gas substance? ❞ he queried, avoiding her peering glance on his stiff-like structure as they walked. it was terrifyingly uncomfortable since anxiety hung in the air and the distance between them varied in three ft. she fumbled with her hands endeavoring to enunciate her words.

              ❝ i'm occasionally preparing myself for the worst, if that's what your question meant, ❞ she remarked spuriously & gazed on the seemingly interesting ground and her peripheral vision identified the boy with a suspicious expression, ❝ actually i saw a shadowy figure in the corner of my eye. it's alright if you didn't see it, you have one eye after all. ❞ she joked whilst airly giggling at his evident furious face. it softened afterwards and decided to laugh with her.

      a genuine beam tugged on his mouth in amusement, ❝ hmph, ❞ he hummed and confidently caught a glimpse of her [your hair color] hair, that cascaded like a transparent curtain, ❝ you're right about the first statement. it is an instinct for us, humans, and we always are ready for the greatest no matter how big or small the circumstances may be. ❞

      she looked back at him, noticing his face getting pale since the moonlight was reflecting his porcelain skin, ❝ we continue this as overcoming our fears and flaws that it leads to the point where we get plainly gullible, ❞ she added, ❝ and that might direct to— ❞

         ❝ death. ❞ they concluded in unison.

        their faces sullenly cast a waterfall of faint black, almost covering their eyes. her face formed a warm mellow whilst watching the moon's surface ghastly glowing with its bowl-shaped cavities called craters. the planet itself distinguished among all the twinkling spheres of heavenly bodies.

       ciel tracked her view, in addition, to adore the astronomic spectacle. he glanced back at her, who had a tranquil expression easing on her look.

       ❝ i don't mean to intrude in your personal life, but what was the contract about with you and your demon- er, butler? ❞ she wondered with interest.

      his mouth pursed to a lopsided smile, ❝ there's no bother to intervene, but further answering to your question, ❞ he unsteadily inhaled, the resolute of his posture allowed him to explain, ❝ was an exchange for a human soul, m-my soul after my wish has been fulfilled. ❞

❝ and that wish might be what, lord phantomhive? ❞

     he sighed, ❝ to take revenge of those who humiliated me, ❞ the boy finished and tilted his head to the side, ❝ what about you? ❞

         ❝ yours sounds fair. however, mine does not, ❞ she chuckled half-heartedly, and he could've sworn a tear ran down her cheeks, ❝ as long as my objective is to free veronica's sisters from salem, then she's satisfied. and i will end unsatisfied. ❞ she smiled.