XVI. BIRDS AND THE BEES

as the forlorn lines left her mouth, ciel was surprised since the quote belonged to the famous poet. next to his favored detective fiction author, of course.

              [your name] noticed the stupefaction struck on his face like the clap of thunder in the middle of a bright day, ❝ i wasn't meaning to be offensive, i hope you know that. shakespeare is a divine man who wrote etherealism that resembles comedy, tragedy, and history. he's wonderful. ❞ she spoke with passion, setting her china teacup on a fine plate in a small clatter. the spruce-blue-haired young boy wrinkled his eyebrow, watching intently at the dreamy girl while sipping a generous amount of his cup.

         ❝ i can't agree more. ❞ he approved, rather stating it in a boring matter. his cerulean hue was tranquilized apathy, but he granted her further to ramble on. he was stubborn to admit, but she looked like she was sinking fondness for her idol, sort of appealing and agreeable.

         she sighed blissfully, giving him a close-eyed smile while resting her chin on her wrist, ❝ i might sound like an amateur, though honestly i like romeo and juliet, ❞ her smile turned into lopsided, ❝ it's one of my favorite productions. i'm sincerely enlightened with the idea of star-crossed lovers. it is definitely a sentimental calamity, but i am still naive. ❞ a smooth laugh ran out from her mouth, startling the queen's guard dog.

       he furrowed his brows in amusement, ❝ indeed you are, but what's this story's plot that ignites your connection to it? ❞ even though he promised to save the questions for later, he still managed to inquire without her notice.

       a funny expression contorted on her face, ❝ as a matter of fact, the tale doesn't really have any links with my personal life. i do have a relationship, however, we don't exactly share the same ill-fated madness, ❞ she responded, having to grow a strange look at the thought if it were to be like that, ❝ i suppose in some circumstances. ❞ she confessed, lowering her tone after giggling lightly.

❝ how so? ❞ the earl pursed his lips, iris glittering in curiosity and having to slightly cock his head to the side.

her throat managed to clear the nervousness from his intimidating stare, ❝ you see, i'm engaged to a boy who's reversed to a noble like you and me but then reaching to our levels. meaning, he used to live in poverty, now he lives in my estate looking after the household. ❞ she beamed, placing her hand on her chest where her heart was beating.

he wasn't fazed nor disgusted by her story, which relaxed the weight on her shoulders, ❝ i don't wish to be rude, but if you can answer my question, what is your fiancé's justification for your engagement besides pitying him? ❞

❝ it wasn't out of pity, ❞ she snapped coldly and she easily maintained her posture after mumbling an apology for her act, ❝ i owed him many things that i spoiled him to rotten after retrieving my brooch and saving me because of an assailant who threatened to end my life. ❞

ciel's mouth curled into realization along with his eye, ❝ forgive me for adding that unnecessary detail to that question. it was ungracious. ❞ his head lowered regretfully.

the [your hair color]-haired girl waved her hand in dismissal, ❝ you're forgiven, but i was the one who reacted defensively. nevertheless, i am a protective soon-to-be-wife. ❞ this line was something along with the words of 'uncertainty' and 'foreign', just as the young lord had felt when he told elizabeth he loved her.

❝ would you care to join for a walk in the garden? i still do have questions spiraling in my mind. ❞ he stood up from his chair after perceiving the empty cup on her plate and offered her his cordial hand.