mentally bruised

It was around two months until exams, it being almost the end of april. With tests around the corner, you'd think Haechan was prepared just like every other student.

WRONG.

He wasn't just not prepared, he was stressed that he wasn't prepared. He was getting anxiety that he wasn't going to do well. The worst part about it was that it was his fault that he didn't study. And he was going to fail because of it.

On the first day back from half term break, Haechan was both petrified and a little embarassed. He thought he was improving slowly but all the effort from last year had been wasted. If only there was something that would ultimately motivate him to study again.

Of course, his first thought was Mark. Unfortunately, his time had to be cut shorter as he also had exams on and needed time to himself to revise. Haechan was bummed by this but he didn't complain... Okay he did complain, but it did nothing as his mother didn't allow it.

Since he didn't have Mark around as often anymore, it was getting harder each day to hide what he had been masking for so long. Every time Mark left, he had no one to bond with since he never made an effort to cuddle with his mother. And every time he did, she always said she was busy. Long story short, Haechan was stressed, depressed and petrified.

Haechan waited outside the school as always, waiting for all his friends to come. Chensung appeared first to say hi but disappeared quickly as they had revision in the morning. Renjun came next, smiling like an idiot. Haechan poked at him and smirked. "Someone's happy."

"Jaemin and Jeno are too cute. I could never ask for anyone better," Putting a hand to his heart, Renjun looked over to the pouting Haechan. "Any luck with your lovey hubby?"

"First, never say that again. Secondly, ew. Thirdly, Mark and I... It seems like a lost cause," Haechan sighed.

Renjun, being a caring friend, tried his best to talk things out with him. "But he's a total catch! He definitely likes you."

"But he'll never admit it. That's the T, served with extra ice."

"Well, what if he does?" Renjun questioned, Haechan reassuring him as stern as he was before.

"He won't. Don't try to change my mind because it won't happen," Grabbing his bag, Haechan left Renjun to go to homeroom. Renjun would have followed him if he didn't have a job to do with Jaemin during that time.

He sat in his chair, uncomfortable. The atmosphere around him was full of people chatting, gossiping and making a ruckus before school started. He had no one to talk to since he'd usually talk to Renjun and Jaemin. Those two also made a barrier to the guys who were sat on the other side of the room. But that barrier was now gone.

8:25am. 10 minutes until the start of school. He was never there that early because he knew what would happen. It was always the same cycle repeated over and over again. Before, Haechan got used to it and came to homeroom later to avoid it. However, his position emotionally got him both mentally and physically vulnerable.

He hid his face in a book he'd never even looked at before as he sensed one of the guys come up behind him. Haechan cursed to himself, embracing for impact. "Haechan-ah, where's your friends? Are you friend-less again?"

Haechan ignored him but his breaths were unstable and he was shaking slightly. The boy behind him persevered. "Awe, maybe you have a boyfriend! Or maybe you knocked up one of the girls in that abandoned store."

"Shut. Up." Haechan clenched his fists as his eyes twitched unpredictingly. He would usually find something to say about them but nothing was coming up.