Chapter 36: A New 'Relationship'

🏃Clark's POV🏃

Ethan sat across the table from me, carefully eating a bowl of cereal. It was one of the simpler breakfasts that they ate but Ethan did not care to put in much more effort.

He seemed to be far more focused on me. He chewed his cereal slowly, eyes trained on my expression or on a faraway wall in an effort to look discreet.

I knew that Ethan was at a loss, confused as to what to do about an issue he had no details on. He could not solve the problem without knowing what the problem was, and I would not be the person to tell him what those problems are.

I would never be able to hide the way that my present relationship with Kevin affected me. I was having a forced sexual, you could not call anything with Kevin romantic, relationship with a guy I had grown to hate.

And, as I continued to kiss him, touch him, and pretend as if I still loved the sadistic man, he proceeded to pick at my self-esteem bit by bit.

The cheerful and happy energy I used to bring home to Ethan every day was slowly draining away, and he had no way of stopping it.

I made it that way.

I did not want him involved.

Kevin did not yet mention if he knew of Ethan's existence. Regardless, knowing that he knows of my friends', I could no longer take any chances.

"Are you enjoying your Mini-Wheats?" Ethan asked, sending me a soft smile that wouldn't reach his eyes no matter how he stretched it. "I only have those dreadful things in the house because you seem to like them."

I cracked a small smile at his version of a joke, nodding my head.

"Yeah, they're good." I shove another spoonful in my mouth after I finish speaking so Ethan won't try to get me to anymore. Ethan smiled more genuinely when I showed that I liked his joke, but it fell quickly when I dew away from him once again.

I felt bad acting the way I was around him. After helping me for so long and acting like an older brother/father figure in my life, keeping something like this from him felt wrong. I kept this news from him and instead acted cold so he would not find out.

It was cruel of me but it was the only way that I knew how to act. Maybe one day he would forgive me, but for now, we would have to settle for silent breakfasts and minimal conversation.

~~~~~

I stared up at the office building, a deep frown implanted into my cheeks. While it was a chilly day in Toronto, jackets donned and snowing fall softly around, I found my hand being warmed by the cup of coffee in my right hand.

Entering the coffee shop had never been the same after Kevin blackmailed me. For some reason, it always reminded me of him and the crowded area made me anxious to be away from any human body wanting to touch me.

Now, two weeks later, the baristas in the shop who I had come to know by name also began to notice my skittish and nervous behaviour. None of them became too nosy, though, and begrudgingly left me alone whenever I insisted to be fine.

Yes, two weeks had already gone by with Kevin and I . . . "dating" again. Some things changed but many remained the same. Not too long after I had begun dating Kevin again, my friends had tried to rekindle our relationships again.

While I desperately wanted to reply, communicate, and interact again, I had more reason now than ever before to stay away.

Kevin knew who they were and the moment that I accept their attempts, I know that they will drill me on why I pulled away in the first place. My behaviour would not go unnoticed. And, if Kevin gets the slightest idea that they know, it could place them in danger.