Chapter 51: Epilogue

🏃‍♂️Clark's POV🏃‍♂️

A stream of sunlight filtered through the stained window, creating an intricate pattern that fellow over my chest and torso. I sat up, smiling softly at the room around me. It was nearly as foreign as it was familiar. It had been so long since I last stayed in it, but now I have many more fond memories with it.

The linking of pots and tinkling of utensils against dishes let me know that someone was cooking in the kitchen. Just the thought of a wonderful breakfast quickly had me out of my bed and into the bathroom to get ready.

My eyes went over everything around me. The sink, the tiles, the permanent stains from years of living. They were all here and had barely changed. It was comforting to see it all again, especially with the new clarity and light that I had brought into my life.

I reached into my dresser and grabbed my change of clothes. By the time I had finished getting ready for the day, the warm smell of freshly made breakfast was travelling all throughout the house. I walked into the kitchen and smiled at the sight of a familiar face.

"Mom."

My mother turned around, gracing me with a bright smile before pulling me into a warm hug.

"Good morning, Clark." She said, voice light and warm.

"Good morning." I repeated before moving my attention to the breakfast that she was currently dishing out. "This looks amazing, mom. You are really outdoing yourself."

My mother grinned, doing a hair flip with her short cut and grinning pridefully.

"Well, I do have to show off to our new guests from the fancy Toronto." She explained, voice filling with passion as she remembered why she had been cooking so well for the past few days. "They have got to know that us small town folk can bring the goods."

I chuckled, placing an arm around my mother's shoulder.

"I think they know."

My mom went to argue when a third voice joined the conversation.

"No, we don't." I turned to send a glare Ethan's way. But while he raised his hands up in surrender, I saw his teasing grin. Then, his face lit up at the sight of the food. "Wow, this looks amazing, Janice. Wilbert is so lucky to be married to you."

My mom laughed, fanning herself as if she was 14, not 44.

"You're too kind, Ethan." My mother swooned, drawing an eye roll from me. "Why didn't you pass on such nice qualities onto my son while he was with you?"

Ethan shrugged, grabbing his plate and sitting down at the small kitchen table.

"Not sure, maybe he didn't stay with me long enough." Ethan suggested before he began shovelling food into his mouth. My mother sighed before leaning back onto the counter behind her.

"Well, I guess you'll have more time to teach him when y'all go back." She said, sounding as if she was trying to give herself hope for the future. Ethan nodded, chewing his food for a moment before audibly swallowing it.

"And, you always have a chance with Santiago." Ethan added, encouragingly.

At the sound of his name, my mother perked up. Just in time for Santiago and my father to come waltzing into the room, deep in a conversation and coming from the back porch. Santiago excused himself from the conversation before turning to my mom with a dazzling smile.

"Good morning, Mrs. Robinson." He smiled, looking at her warmly. Then, his gaze turned to me. His expression visibly softened and I reached my hand out to take his without hesitation. "Good morning Clark."