Chapter 44: Break It Down

🏃Clark’s POV🏃

Santiago and I opened the front door slowly. He was not accustomed to entering on his own and I always being uncomfortable with opening Jasmine’s door on my own.

“Jasmine?” I hesitantly called out, scared about entering. “Mark?”

When the thumping started, I began to calm down. The loud sound of Jasmine running through her large house was so normal that it began to bring a smile to my face. There were tears in Jasmine’s eyes when she saw me from the top of the stairs and at the sight of them, my eyes burned again.

“Clark!” She yelled, rushing down the steps. I let go of Santiago’s hand to catch her when she rammed her body into me. “I was so worried. You were gone for so long. I didn’t want to push you but I was so scared that something had happened.”

“It’s okay. I’m alright.” I assured her, voice muffled by her hair. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry, too.”

Jasmine held onto me for a long time. She was a more clingy person and the situation definitely pushed her to the point where she never wanted to let go. Unfortunately for her, I already promised someone else touching rights so Santiago and I had to eventually pull her off.

“So, where are the others?” Santiago asked while Jasmine brought us into the living room of her home.

“Mark and Mason were at school so they have a bit of a way to go before they will be here. Daniel while come soon, though.” She told us, gesturing for us to take a seat. “My parents are actually working but they will be here later in the day. I haven’t told them about what your contact found out because I didn’t want to worry them but they will be so happy to see you, Clark.”

I smiled, unconsciously squeezing Santiago’s hand again.

“I missed them too, all of you guys really.” I tell her honestly. “I’m sorry that I pulled away but it is one of the only ways that I know how to cope. I was really scared for everyone’s safety and thought that keeping you all out of it was the best way to handle it.”

“Well, you better learn a new one.” She told me simply, both of us chuckling. “And we are involved. Always have been, always will be.”

I nodded in agreement, completely understanding where Jasmine was coming from.

“Yeah, I learned the mistakes of that mindset now.” I say, glancing at Santiago discreetly. “From now on, I’ll try to be more upfront with what’s going on in my life.”

Jasmine and Santiago seemed very happy about that statement, grinning widely after I finished. Then, Jasmine frowned.

“What did you mean by ‘worried about everyone’s safety’. Was something going on that was more serious than we thought?” She asked, now looking incredibly worried. I turned to look at Santiago, biting my bottom lip in worry.

“I-I don’t want to go into too much detail without everyone being here.” I say carefully, voice shaking ever so slightly. “But I’m alright, Jasmine. Everything is A-okay.”

That seems to calm Jasmine down further and she sighs deeply.

“Alright, I’ll try to wait, but I can’t promise that I won’t ask again.” She says warningly, standing up from where she had been sitting. “Do you guys want anything to drink? I want to make some hot chocolate. I feel like I need to calm down more.”

We wanted hot chocolate and certainly weren’t about to say no when she offered. Once Jasmine had left the room, Santiago turned to me.

“Are you sure that you want to tell them today?” Santiago asks, surprising me a bit. “I worry that this might be too much for you to deal with all on the same day-”