Bonus: An Old Fling and An Old Friend

Liam stared down at his phone, teeth nibbling at his bottom lip until the skin peeled. He was nervous, God, he really was. He had a plan, a mission, a goal. It was the morning after he had seen the news about a Clark Robinson being questioned for his association with a high ranked man in a major drug trafficking business.

Kevin Lanchester. The reporter stated that Clark had been found in his apartment, bound and injured, and he had likely been kidnapped. He was a witness against Kevin and was brought up as the reporter spoke of the police handling a big player in the drug scene in the city.

After hearing that report, Liam had immediately wanted to call Clark and find out how he was. Despite the sudden, harsh breakup, Liam still cared deeply for and about Clark.

He wanted to know what happened, but most of all, he wanted to know if he was alright. Just the memory of how negatively Clark reacted to the mere idea of Kevin being in Toronto made Liam worried for Clark’s mental state.

He had to speak to him.

But he was afraid. Clark was the one who broke up with him. Clark may not want anything to do with Liam, maybe even despise him at this point.

Why would he want Liam budding into his life again when he already pushed him out of it?

Thoughts like that were what scared Liam so much, and it was hard to push them out of his mind. He wanted to be confident and strong whenever he dealt with Clark, but he was hesitant and found it hard to push himself to call. But, remembering the news report and his time with Clark, Liam was able to push himself to dial.

The familiar sound of the ring caused Liam’s heart to beat harder and faster than he ever thought possible. It was nerve-racking to wait for Clark to pick up, but after some time, Liam heard a familiar voice.

“Hello? Liam?” Clark asked hesitantly. His voice was cautious, yet pleasant. It calmed Liam ever so slightly.

“Uh, hey! Yeah, it’s me.” Liam replied, stumbling and stuttering over his words due to nerves. “Uh . . . I saw the news yesterday. Um . . . I guess I was just worried about you and wanted to see how you were and know what was going on?”

Liam heard Clark’s sigh and grew nervous again. Had he overstepped his boundaries? Said too much.

“Yeah, that’s a long story. One that I’m not sure you’ll want to hear.” Clark told him, voice lowering the longer he spoke. Liam bit his lip nervously when Clark sighed again. “Where do I even start?”

Liam shrugged, although Clark couldn’t see him on the other side. It was a habit, and he didn’t have the time to shake it now.

“From the beginning?” Liam suggested, right hand fiddling with the couch material beneath him.

“Kevin was abusive, Liam.” Clark began, voice so objective that Liam began to question if he was telling his own story. “Not physically, at first, it was mostly the mental stuff. I only realized how bad our relationship was when he hurt me. So, I ran away but he found out that I was working with Meaghan.”

Liam’s eyes went wide, and his heart began to pound again. But not from nerves, but from anger.

“You hid it from us, from me?” Liam asked, sighing when Clark replied with a quiet “yes”. “Why didn’t you tell me? Why didn’t you let me help you?”

There was a pause on the other side of the phone, and Liam was left breathing heavily and angrily on the other side.

“I didn’t love you, Liam.” Clark admitted suddenly, taking all the fight from Liam in one sentence. “Not how you cared about me. I didn’t treat you right. I was invested enough, and I’m so sorry for dating you out of convenience instead of dedication.