Chapter Forty [It's only You]

March 1st, 2020 North Long Beach, California

March 1st, 2020
North Long Beach, California

Malachi Jones

"Are you sure you want it on this day? It's supposed to be raining."

"Yeah, it's the only day that they got available." I told Pea.

"But it's going to be raining, their outfits are going to be ruined." She went on.

"Pea, I'm not pushing this shit back no more. I had to put it on hold for a year and a half already." I snapped. "Book the damn venue."

"Fine."

I sat back in my chair and sighed. I had two months to get this launch going for my deal with puma and I hadn't even started designing yet.

I was so stressed out with Giselle telling me she was pregnant and then Mason fell off the swings at daycare, now he needs surgery because his brain is swelling, this shit is too much!

"I'm fucking tired." I mumbled.

She looked up at me. "You haven't been sleeping?"

I shook my head. "Nah, I can't."

"Mason's going to be fine, Mug." She reached over and grabbed my hand. "Just have a little faith."

I snatched my hand away.

"We don't know that." I snapped. "My son in the hospital and they talkin' bout they gon do all they can do, naw. Them niggas gon' do everything."

She sighed. "Look, I know you're under a lot of stress right now, but Mason is my son too. How do you think I fucking feel?" She snapped. "My baby is lying in that fucking hospital bed and you got me out here doing fucking paper work for a damn event that you could've done while me and Giselle were both pregnant. I need to be with him! Not with you!"

I stood up out my chair quickly. "Well fuck it, go Phoebe! Go to the hospital then!"

She threw all the papers in the air and stood up getting in my face.

"Worried about this fucking clothing line, you need to be worried about your fucking son!" She snapped.

"And look where you at, Pea. You ain't no better."

She smacked me.

Now, I didn't put my hands on women but if she smacked me again I was gon' handle her dumb ass.

"I'm here because you're my boss and you sign my fucking checks. In order to take care of my son, I need my money. That's the only reason I'm here!" She shouted.

I waved her off.

"Pea, Yo family got money, don't act like I'm yo only source of income." I rolled my eyes at her.

"My family stopped being my source of Income when I graduated from UCLA." She said. "You know that."

I shrugged. "Well, you might want to contact them muthafuckas because guess what? You're fired."