Twenty Six [Showing you love]

September 5th, 2018 Long Beach, California

September 5th, 2018
Long Beach, California

Malachi Jones

I quickly jumped out of my truck and locked it, running inside of the gym. Ryan's graduation had started fifteen minutes ago and I was late. When I got inside, I seen Bones and his momma; Ms. Renee sitting at the top row with a few of their family members.

I debated on going up to the top, I wasn't trynna start no shit at her graduation so I just took a seat at the bottom. I bit my bottom lip, looking around trynna see if I could see Ryan. I didn't see her sitting down so she was probably in line still.

They was going in alphabetical order, so most likely she was still in line.

About fifteen minutes later, her name was called.

"Ryan Jackson."

I stood up from my seat, cheering my hardest.

"Aye, Ryan!" I shouted, cheering her on.

I could hear Bones and Ms. Renee shouting her name as she walked on stage and received her diploma. I was proud of Ryan, she worked hard to show her momma that she was going to graduate high school. The only thing Ms. Renee wanted for her and Bones.

She was also in the high honors program so she was going to be giving a speech later on.

I pretty much tuned out the rest of the kids until, I seen Ryan walk on stage.

"And now, a few words from our Valedictorian, Ryan Jackson."

I clapped for Ry as she walked on stage.

"Good evening. Family, friends, parents." She started. "It's been a long four years, but we made it, the class of 2018. Walking on campus the first day was absolutely terrifying, not knowing where your locker was, where your class was, or if you were even going to make friends was the most mind bottling thing you could think of when it comes to high school. I've learned so much, mostly patience and guidance. From Ms. Castro's eleven page lab reports, Ms. Garcia's Bone breaking Spanish tests, Mr. Marcus's math packets-"

She took a pause, laughing. "They really knew how to keep us up at four AM, you guys."

The whole gym laughed.

"I promised Ms. Dean that I would keep this short, so here it goes." She said. "Today, we start a new chapter of our lives. We'll be starting college soon and we'll carry our knowledge and our minds full and ready to take on its life's challenges. I wish you all well in your journeys and continue to make our parents proud. I want to give a special shout out to my mother, who's always pushed me to succeed in school and to make her happy I'm standing on this stage right now with four AP stolls, a high honors sash, two academic achievement metals, and I'm Valedictorian."

Everybody clapped. I clapped hard for Ry.

"To my brother, Brandon. I'll always follow in your footsteps, thank you for taking care of me the way you do. We've been through so much and I'm more than happy to come home and share my days with you. Thank you for being my father figure and showing me unconditional love and support and for that I'll be forever grateful."