Chapter 2

Jimin's Point of View

"My lord, I would suggest the pink floral pattern for the drapery."

"The pink floral pattern, you say? Son, what do you think? Son? Son?"

Jimin jerked from his bored stupor and met his father's irritated gaze. "Perfect, Father. Whatever you think is best."

His father exhaled deeply in disappointment. "Son, I would request that you become involved in these matters. Learning how to navigate through them now will become quite significant in your future."

Learning how to choose between draperies sporting blue waterlilies or pink roses would be significant in his future? Jimin sincerely hoped not.

"Yes, Father," he replied politely. His spine ached from sitting so stiffly, and his nose itched, but he knew he couldn't scratch to soothe the discomfort without his father gawking at him.

Boredom captivated his every thought as the designer droned on and on about how the waterlilies pattern could fit into that evening's ballroom event. Jimin began to trace the design from the swath of fabric on his thigh, imagining how a pencil would twist and turn to form the ornate drawing.

"For the last time, Jimin Park, will you pay attention?" His father's angry tone made him flinch, and he bowed his head respectfully.

"A million apologies, Father. I'm just exhausted from last night's ball." And the one the day before that. And the day before that. And the day before that...

"You must learn to handle these events if you are ever to wear my title."

Lord Jimin Park, Baron of Southbrook. Just what he had always wanted to call himself.

"Of course, Father."

A tentative knock sounded against the door, and a maid entered the expansive hall. She tilted her head politely and handed the baron a folded paper.

"A note for your son, my lord."

Jimin's heart leaped with joy. As his father unfolded the note, he caught a glimpse of his name written in curly print and had to bite back a smile. Nadya. Oh, God bless you, Nadya.

His father grunted and tossed the note across the table to his son. Jimin eagerly scrambled forward to retrieve it, and he read the short letter as quickly as he could.

Jimin,

I need to talk to you.

Nadya

The note was so brief that almost nothing could be deduced from it without visiting Nadya for further information – she must have known Jimin's father would be reading it before he passed it on to his son.

"Would you kindly excuse me?" Jimin struggled to contain a quiver of joy in his voice as he bowed sloppily and exited the room.

Rain pattered against the tall windows decorating the hallways, but Jimin failed to process the significance of the weather until he was standing umbrella-less on the porch. His father would kill him if he got his suit wet, he thought. Then again, did he really care? Without further hesitation, he plunged into the rain and began jogging to the lone willow tree behind the mansion. His clothes were soaked through almost immediately, but he was so eager to meet his best friend that he didn't pay his discomfort any mind. He ducked under the canopy of the tree and, as he expected, saw Nadya sitting against the trunk of the tree, her small body curled up on the grass. An endearing smile touched her lips as she took in his wet appearance.

"Why do I sense another ball coming tonight?" she asked.

"It's crazy, Nadya," Jimin sighed, collapsing beside her. "Every single day, my father forces me into those confounded meetings about which patterns should be on the drapery and whether the cake should have violet purple or light purple accents. I don't know how much longer I can take it."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'll be at the ball tonight."

"That doesn't make me feel any better – Jin will be there, too."

"He's returning from boarding school?"

"Unfortunately."

Jimin relished in the time his elder brother Jin attended a private boarding school in Scotland – his father had often remarked it was for "leadership training", but Jimin had noticed his shifty eyes and assumed he wasn't telling the full truth.

Nadya scoffed. "If I didn't know your brother, I might assume he was attending Hogwarts, what with all the time he spends there."

Jimin snorted loudly. "I find that highly unlikely."

"Why?"

He startled, quirking an eyebrow at Nadya's serious expression. "You think my brother could be a wizard? My brother?"

"I didn't say so," she amended, "but I wouldn't rule out the possibility."

"He isn't a wizard," Jimin resolved, shaking his head. "Our family hasn't an ounce of magic in our blood – my father is as Muggle as anyone could get."

"And your mother?"

"Well, how would I know anything about her? She died of tuberculosis seven years ago. All the same, I can't imagine her being a witch; my father always said she strived to be the best businesswoman of the Muggle world – he didn't phrase it like that, of course."

"Of course," Nadya mumbled quietly. "Well, I will miss you when I go to Hogwarts. I expect to receive my letter any day now."

"Will your parents return home to see you off?" Jimin silently doubted it, but he didn't dare voice his thoughts.

She shrugged. "They mentioned something about coming back next week, but that is code for another month away."

He winced at her feigned carelessness. "I'm sorry, Nadya. I wish I could live with you."

"I wish you could, too. It gets lonely, wandering through a gigantic house all by myself."

Jimin stared at her as her countenance slowly darkened. He was the only one who she could share her troubles with because he was the only non-Obliviated Muggle who knew that her parents worked for the Ministry of Magic as Aurors.

"I will visit as often as I can until they return," he promised.

"It's all right." Her lips quirked slightly. "It's foolish, but I have always wished that they would take me with them on one of their dangerous escapades. Anything would be better than being holed up here in this bubble of rain and automobile exhaust." Jimin laughed at her remarkably accurate description of London. The air didn't smell as terrible on the outskirts as it did in the heart of the city, but it never felt completely fresh.

They grew silent, and Jimin pushed himself to his feet. The rain had stopped entirely – nothing other than Jimin's will kept him glued to the willow tree. His meetings with Nadya were always short and left them both wanting a million more. Jimin wished he could spend hours with her, discussing their pasts and futures. She was the only person who kept his head on his shoulders when he felt as though he was losing his mind.

They performed their usual exiting ceremony – a bow, a mocking of their titles, and a wave before the other faded from sight – and then Jimin walked back to his wearisome fate.

It seemed as though his father and the designer had not moved from their places when Jimin returned – the only addition to the room was his elder brother, who turned to him with a smug smirk as he noticed Jimin's soaked appearance.

"Playing out in the rain, were you, Jiminie? Aren't you a bit old for that?"

"Back from another year of school, Jin? Perhaps I am mistaken, but you seem to be losing knowledge, not gaining it."

The two glowered at each other while their father's expression transformed into one of complete horror.

"Jimin Park! What in God's name happened to your suit?"

~ ~ ~