Chaerin Lee

"Ah, this isn't right," I told myself while hitting the backspace button. I sat there for a moment rethinking of how to start this essay.

Everything I have come up with seemed too cheesy or just doesn't fit my style.

I gave a slight sigh and started typing again while saying the question out loud to myself, "How would I, Chaerin Lee, describe..." before I could finish my sentence there was a knock at the door.

I looked at the time, 11:30 a.m,
I'm not expecting anyone and if I was they all know I have to get this essay finished by midnight.

I huffed in annoyance and start towards the door, there stood Dara with a container of my favorite food.

"Is that Japanese Ramen!?" I squealed with delight. Dara gave a laugh and nodded "made it myself," she said handing it over to me.

"Ah, I don't deserve you!" I exclaimed. I gave her a quick hug and invited her in, "would you like something to drink or eat?" I asked her heading into the kitchen to put the ramen away.

She followed me in and leaned against the doorway with her arms folded. "No, I'm ok I just ate with Bommie," she said giving me a smile.

I nodded my head and cleared my throat, "not that I'm not happy to see you, but..." she put her hand up and cut me off "ah, your essay, yes I know, that is why I brought you the ramen."

I gave her a puzzled look and she just rolled her eyes at me "you get to worked up about your homework, you don't take the time to care for yourself, I wanted to be sure you were fed today."

It was my turn to roll my eyes at her and she just gave me a cute smart ass look. "Well, I thank you kindly and trust me I'll eat it..." I paused while making a bee line towards my computer "right after I finish my essay."

I heard Dara let out a sigh "Chaerin, what is the essay about anyways?" I finished the sentence I started on before I was interrupted and then looked at Dara.

"If you must know, it's a essay about ourselves. Who we are and how we see ourselves," I looked back at the screen biting my lip.

Describing myself was my weakest point. Some people seem to be able to do it so easily, I just don't know why I have the hardest time with it.

Dara came over and wrapped her arms around my neck "you are a great, loving, smart, and beautiful young woman, CL, this should be a piece of cake!"

I looked up at her "the essay is how I see myself, not how others see me, if it was vice versa then maybe it would be a piece of cake."

She just shook her head at me and laughed "think what you want, but take some of my words into consideration ok?" I nodded giving her some kind of assurance.

"Alright, I'll leave you alone now," she said heading towards the door. I chuckled "thanks for the ramen!" I shouted before she could close it entirely.

A great, loving, smart, and beautiful young woman... I replayed her words over and over again in my head. To my surprise she did help me with my essay.

Thank you Dara.