Bom

I took the brownies out of the oven and set them on top of the stove. I took my oven mitts off placing them onto the counter, as I grab a knife from the drawer to start cutting the brownies Chaerin walked in.

"Ohh, something smells delicious," she said leaning over the island.

"I made brownies," I said cutting into them "I plan on packing some for Dara."

"I wonder how she is doing today," Chaerin said softly.

I hummed placing the knife on the counter and leaning onto it "Chaerin, I know now is not the best time to show our fear for we need to show our strength for Dara's sake," I trailed off.

I turned around to face Chaerin and continued "but, for once in my life I am truly afraid."

A tear escaped from my eye, I wiped it away as Chaerin put her hand on my resting arm.

She gave it a slight rub of comfort and nodded her head "no one said we can't be worried and fear for what is happening along with being strong at the same time."

"Sometimes you have to let your guard down and cry," she walked around the island joining my left side.

She put her hand on my back and I turned to embrace her. "You always know what to say," I said hugging her tightly.

We released each other "I try my best," she said giving my arm a slight rub.

She went over to a drawer and took out a ziplock "I'll put a couple of brownies in here."

As she put a couple in Minzy walked into the house "oh, is there a party?"

"Not really, just baked some brownies, what were you up to?" I asked.

She walked in placing her purse onto the counter, "well after a month of avoiding Jae-Hyun, I finally decided to get with him."

Chaerin furrowed her brows "why did you avoid him for that long?"

Minzy hugged herself and gave a shrug "with everything that has been going on with Dara and the move, I guess I couldn't help, but avoid him."

"You still could of found some time if you really tried," I chimed in "I think there is a little more that you don't want to admit."

Chaerin walked up to Minzy placing a arm around her waist giving her a shake "come on what is it?"

Minzy rolled her eyes and sighed in disgust "you two,fine," she said placing a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Our relationship has been off and on since the day we met during college days, this last break up, I don't know," she trailed off for a bit "I just feel like a cat chasing a mouse that isn't so easy to catch."

"I give my all and try my best to make it work, but then something triggers a meltdown and we break it off for a few months," she gave a shrug "I am at my wits end, I want a committed and stable relationship, is that too much to ask?"

We shake our heads "no it isn't, is that what you told him today?"

She shook her head "I didn't get the chance to, we just updated each other on what's been going on in our lives."

"He said he wants to get a hotel near here so he can be here for me," she put her elbows on the counter and placed her head into her hands.

She mumbled "I don't know if he should or if I should tell him I'll be alright since I have you two."

"The more support the better, I say," Chaerin said.

Minzy just chuckled "well the next time we meet up, I'll definitely address our relationship problem."

I gathered the brownies Chaerin packed for Dara, "well, are we ready to go check in?"

Chaerin grabs her car keys "I'll drive this time."

We walk up to the hospital desk to speak with the receptionist "hello, we are here to see Sandara Park," I tell her.

She gives us a slight smile "She just woke up from her nap, the doctor is allowing visits for one hour."

We nod our heads as we walk towards her room, as we walked in we were welcomed by the scent of floor cleaner and the beeping sounds of the machines.

Dara was sitting slightly upward watching television, she turned her head as she saw us walk in.

She turned the volume down while trying to sit up a bit "hey girls," she said softly.

We all chimed in a " hey," bringing a smile upon her face.

I stretched my arm out revealing the brownies "look what I made for you."

Dara snatched them out of my hands and held them against her chest "ah, I missed your baking!"

We chuckled, Chaerin walked to the other side of her and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

She stroked her hair while asking "how are you feeling?"

Dara shrugged, but gave a weak smile "I wish I could say I'm doing fine, but I just feel weak."

"At this point these machines are my source of energy," she said with her eyes focusing on the brownies.

The room kind of fell silent for we really didn't know how to take that. The fact that she isn't wrong and at this point in the illness it is more worry some.

She opened the ziplock and sinked her teeth into a brownie lifting her head up while giving a delightful hum.

She put her head back and smiled "this is wonderful."

"I'm glad you like them," I said.

We all ended up getting carried away in a conversation and laughter. We didn't realize how lost we were in our conversation until a nurse came in to let us know our visiting time was over.

"Thank you girls," Dara began "for the visit and brownies."

We each give our hugs and kisses and bid our goodbyes.

In the car the girls and I share our concerns with each other. "The way she said the machines are her source of energy," Minzy said from the backseat.

I let out a heavy sigh "it scares me how fast she is deteriorating."

"Girls, can we just try to stay positive," Chaerin said trying to change the subject.

I know this is heavy on her for it is for all of us, but I think Chaerin is having a harder time with coming to terms.

With that we rode the rest of the ride home in silence.