My Writing Process; Q&A

7/6/19
(A/N: this is hella long)

I've gotten this question a lot over the years, but since my Bendy book has gotten more popular, this question has recently been asked constantly. A lot of you wonder how my writing is as good and entertaining as it is, and many of you have asked how I make my chapters (meaning are they planned out or just spontaneous). And thanks to everyone who asked questions on the A/N I posted earlier. Hopefully I answered all of them, so I'll try to tag you where any of the answers to your question(s) are written. Now, onward!

Main question #1 : How is my writing so good?

Honestly, I have no idea. I've always has a knack for writing, though. It just comes to me naturally, and I easily pick up on English rules and writing tips/tricks as I see them from there. Before Wattpad, I wrote junk all the time as a kid. To be honest, I wrote fanfiction (more or less) before I even knew it was a thing. I once started a sequel to the forgotten movie Guardians of Ga'Hoole and a sequel to Zelda Ocarina of Time before I knew about Majora's Mask, but most of the stories were ones that I wrote down after I had dreams. [Fun fact, this is honestly very important that many writers should do. I had a very vivid dream once, and I'm very grateful that I wrote it down as soon as I got up because it turns out, it'd make an EXCELLENT story that I will eventually upload to Wattpad under a pen name.]

Nevertheless, my first actual book was my fanfiction Afraid. Let me warn you though, that book is garbage. Complete and utter garbage because I was in freaking eighth grade and had no idea what I was doing. My sentences sucked and my word choice was awful. I can't read that book without laughing at how bad it is. But no matter how much I hate it, I owe a lot to it. I've realized many of my mistakes and ignorances and to this day, I'd like to believe that almost all of them have become permanently corrected because, over time, all I did was keep writing and practicing. After all this time, I think the one thing I came to find is how my writing is fairly distinctive. Yes, they're just words, but for me, it's the placement and arrangement. A perfect example is the chapter "To Seal Oneself Away." Just by reading it, I think you'll probably be able to see what I'm talking about. By using specific language and writing it in a reasonably peculiar manner, I think it becomes a little more distinctive and powerful.

Main question #2 : Are my chapters planned or do I wing it?

This question easily ties in with question 1, but let's start here. This Bendy book will probably always be my favorite for so many reasons, but the one thing I admire is how some of the chapters are written. The ones I like writing the most, although I struggle a bit, are the ones that have almost nothing going on. My favorite chapter will most likely always be "To Seal Oneself Away," and it seems to be a favorite with a lot of you readers also. But here, I'm going to be completely honest. The majority of all of my chapters, that one included, are all written in one go. I don't make heavy revisions or anything; the only things I delete as I write are errors and maybe an occasional sentence, but that's it. I just go with the flow when I write, because that's what I've always like to read. Books that just go on forever with structure and descriptions on every page is just ugh to me. I get bored, I don't care. I don't want the book to be super short and blunt, but I don't have the time or energy to read some 600 page book that is 75% structure and junk. It just seems too thought out and planned, and it feels like the authors are constricting themselves whether it's their style or not. But when you go with the flow, you just ease into the words and you, too, are going with the same flow as the author. You're on the same page, no pun intended. To me, it's just more authentic and "realistic" in a sense when you aren't being excessively nit picky or anything because readers can see that, me especially. You don't need a crap ton of juicy and descriptions and meaningless banter to have a good book. You just need to know your style ahead of time, know what you personally want out of a book, and just realize that going with the flow can be just as progressive as planning things out. So while allowing myself to realize that serves as a good answer to how my writing is good, there are also times when planning might just be a little more successful.