Chapter 8

South Lawn

"Daddy!" John screamed as Jackie climbed aboard Marine One. Jack who was about to follow her footsteps turned around and grabbed his son. "Oh my boy!" Jack kissed his son. "Daddy, can I come with you and mummy on Marine One? To the airport?" John pleaded with his father. Jack couldn't resist it. "Okay then. But only to the airport. You can't come on Air Force One" Jack made it firm. John nodded. "Okay then". Jack took his son's hand and together they went aboard the helicopter. 

Andrews Air Force Base

The helicopter landed in front of Air Force One. Jack and Jackie walked with their son off the helicopter and onto the runway. "Bye John" Jackie kissed her little boy. "Bye mummy. Have fun!" He smiled and waved as his parents boarded the plane. They waved in return. It was the only time they had never seen him cry, when they left. 

Air Force One

Private cabin

The First Couple sat on the sofa in the private cabin and buckled up for take-off. When the plane was in the air, they could roam around. "Well, I need to go over the schedule" Jack sighed, sitting at the desk. 

Jackie smiled. "Well that's perfectly fine, I have an outfit to change" Jackie joked. She headed towards the bedroom, to change. 

In the meantime, he looked over his schedule for West Virginia. He'd be staying in one of the campaign worker's homes they rent in the town of Bluefield. He was scheduled to enter via a motorcade and exit via a motorcade. But after the events in Dallas, he made a note the roof must be on the car. 

He'd spend both days at the campaign headquarters. But while he was there, he was due to make a speech at the headquarters, a speech at the town hall and he would take part in a press conference at the headquarters. 

After viewing the schedule, he checked his watch. They left Andrews Air Force Base at 9am. The flight would take an hour and fifteen minutes. They'd be landing at Mercer County Airport at 10:15am.