Chapter 36

West Sitting Hall

Jack sat on the sofa, exhausted with a glass of whiskey. He rubbed his eyes, he had, had a stressful day. Something then caught the corner of his eye. He turned his head, to see Jackie standing at the entrance to Stair Landing from Central Hall. 

She rubbed her arm before walking towards him. He was stunned. Had she flown all the way from New York to come back to die? 

He sat down his glass and looked at his pale wife. "Hello Jack" Jackie whispered. She was aware the kids were sleeping. She didn't want to wake them. "Hello Jackie". They looked at each other blankly before they both embraced and kissed passionately. When they broke apart, Jackie joined Jack on the sofa. 

"Jack, what's going on?" Jackie was scared, and Jack sensed that. 

He sighed. "Well kid, I don't want you to get scared" Jack tried to speak but Jackie interrupted him. "But I'll be even more scared if you don't tell me". Jack sighed, rubbed his eyes again before telling Jackie of what he had learned that day. 

"A week?" Jackie asked. Jack nodded. She looked around, at the ground. She was speechless. "Oh Jack". They embraced. However they promised, no matter what, they would get through this.