Chapter 37

April 17th

Jackie's bedroom

A week had past. Every day, the Cabinet had read out at least five letters, and it seemed no matter how heard they had tried, they couldn't change Castro's mind. It looked like, there would be an extreme attack on the White House. 

They had received a letter from Castro, saying the attack would take place on April 17th at 10pm exactly. There would be an air strike on the White House. All that day, the kids had been sent to Hyannis Port, and important artifacts and belongings had been shipped from the White House to the National Archives. 

The Residence, looked empty. Furniture, valuable artwork, everything was almost gone. Jack and Jackie sat, embraced in each other's arms. The clock said 9:50pm. Jack kissed his wife passionately. "I love you Jackie" Jack whispered. "I love you Jack". Their hands were held. "I'll be glad to be remembered as the First Lady who died with her husband". Jack smiled. 

The house was silence. The kids were unaware of the danger their parents were in. They sat on the bed until they heard footsteps. The bedroom door burst open. Bobby stood there. "Jack you need to come downstairs!" Bobby panted. He had obviously ran up all the stairs. 

Jack was curious but worried, holding hands with Jackie they headed down to the almost empty Cabinet Room. Bundy stood with another letter. "What's that?" Jack pointed at the letter. 

"We just got this letter from Castro". 

"Himself?" Jackie asked. Bundy nodded. They were stunned. "Read it" Jack shook like a leaf. The letter read: 

President Kennedy, 

For the past week you have received many threats from myself and that I would perform a severe and deadly air strike on the White House. I have changed my mind. The planes have turned around and are on their way back to Havanna. It was Premier Khrushchev who stopped me from attacking Washington. He asked what you had done to offend me and I found no valid excuse, I have called off the air strike and I hope to make peace with America. 

When Bundy finished, the Kennedys were gobsmacked. They looked at each other. Jackie jumped forward and embraced her husband. "Oh Jack!". Everyone in the Cabinet Room laughed, before the First Couple thanked the Cabinet. 

Jackie's bedroom

They were still overwhelmed. "My God, we're not going to die!" Jack sighed. "No, we're going to live!" Jackie grinned, kissing her husband. They were so happy. "Well, I guess we'll need to call off the White House public tours to get all the artifacts back in shape" Jack laughed. Jackie giggled. The First Family, need not panic. They would live.