Chapter 39

Public Rooms

White House

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Mr West, the chief usher's voice echoed around the public rooms. "The President and First Lady of the United States!". There was a round of applause as the First Couple descended the stairs and into public eye. Jackie, wearing the dress she wore to Jack's birthday the year before, his 46th, took her husband's hand. 

"Here we go" Jack whispered. Jackie grinned. "Tonight will be good" Jackie kissed her husband's cheek. He blushed, everyone noticed. Even though he tried to hide it. 

In the Blue Room, Jackie mingled with the guests while Jack spoke with statesmen in the Red Room. They then all sat down to dinner in the State Dining Room. 

After two hours, the Kennedys posed for photographs before heading into the East Room for dancing. Jackie sat at the side listening to the beautiful classical music that played on. She then felt hands on her hips. "Hey kid" Jack smiled, before kissing his wife. 

"Hello bunny". Jack took a seat next to Jackie. The dance floor was surrounded by tables. The Presidential table, (which was the first one you saw when you entered the door), had every eye glued to it. Everyone stopped and stared, to watch the First Couple lean into one another and speak intimately. 

But everyone had seen them speak to each other closely before. They were doing something else which everyone stopped to glance at. Jack's hand was entwined with Jackie's. It was a beautiful and romantic sight to see. It was like Jackie was the President's favourite gift. 

Then a song came on which stopped the First Couple from mingling. The song I Married An Angel came on. Jackie only had to look at her husband before the dance floor emptied. 

The First Couple began to waltz, not caring about all the eyes that were fixed upon them. They just danced, never wanting it to end. Jack was aware that everyone was watching, so he leaned in and whispered "I love you Jackie". Jackie smiled. She whispered in reply: "I love you Jack". 

Aware that almost 100 people were staring, the First Couple leaned in and both gave each other a passionate kiss.