Chapter 40

June 1st

Andrew's Air Force Base

Jack and Jackie stood in the private suite embracing and kissing goodbye. Jackie's baby bump was growing and Jack was deeply disappointed. He would be flying to California for two weeks before returning for a week away at Wexford with Jackie and the kids.

"I don't want to go to the West Coast" Jack sighed, making sure he looked smart. "Well Jack it was very kind for Frank to let you stay" Jackie reminded him. Jack sighed. He nodded.

They kissed before Jack set off on Air Force One. Jackie stood at the window before heading in a car back to the White House.

10pm

Jackie's bedroom

Before going to bed, Jackie thought about calling Jack. He may have returned from the gala dinner he was due to attend. She picked up the phone and dialled the number. The phone rang.

"Hello. Sinatra Residence" The operator came on. "Hello, it's Mrs Kennedy, is my husband home?" Jackie asked. Her whispery voice sounded like it was longing for her husband's voice to reply.

"Shall I contact the telephone in his bedroom?" The operator asked. Jackie said she would. The phone rang. There was no answer.

Jackie frowned. "Mr Kennedy is not answering. I could contact Mr Sinatra and he could put him on, if you like" The operator suggested. Jackie shook her head. "Oh no thank you. I'll try again in the morning. Goodnight" Jackie sighed before she hung up.