Chapter 18

Idlewild Airport

Air Force One touched down on the runway. When the First Couple got off the plane, Jackie was presented with another bouquet of flowers. However there was no comments on her suit, not even from the Governor of New York who was there to greet them. Mr Nelson Rockefeller. Then they made their way to the Presidential limosuine which had the top on. 

Mr and Mrs Rockefeller sat in the jumpseats while the Kennedys on the main back seat. 

They then began their motorcade. 

All along the route, from the airport to the Carlyle Hotel was very impressive. "I bet you it's because Jackie's from here" Jack joked while they paraded across the Williamsburg Bridge. The Rockefellers and Jackie laughed.

The crowds lined the streets of Queens and later Manhattan to see the Kennedys. As the reached Manhattan, arriving at the south end of Central Park; the crowd cheered louder. The motorcade came along Madison Avenue. Jack looked at his radiantly smiling wife, who was waving to a group of women cheering for her. 

Jackie then felt Jack grab her hand. She looked at him, shocked but happy. "Love you" he whispered. Jackie beamed. "I love you too" Jackie whispered. The Carlyle Hotel then came into sight.

When they arrived at the Carlyle after the hour and half long motorcade, the Kennedys with their entourage, entered the reception. All the socialites who had came from Washington for time in the city that looked like a diamond at night-time, stopped and stared as the young President and his beautiful wife entered. 

The Kennedys spoke with the Rockefellers before the First Couple, on their own entered the lift. They pressed the button to take them to the entire floor which served as the Kennedy apartment. Or as the tabliods put it: "The New York White House".