Chapter 20

The Kennedy Suite

Carlyle Hotel

The next morning, the Kennedys would attend a luncheon at the Plaza Hotel after a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Jack waited in the lounge of the Carlyle suite before Jackie came out of the bedroom. She was wearing a beige suit with a black trim and some matching shoes. She was however not wearing any gloves. 

"How do I look?" Jackie turned around a few times so Jack could see. "Like a true First Lady" Jack smiled. Jackie blushed. She came forward and kissed him full on the lips. "You'll look stunning today". 

Madison Avenue

The Presidential limosuine was waiting outside the Carlyle. The small motorcade would consist of travelling along Madison Avenue, turning onto East 91st Street, past the Convent of Sacred Heart and then along Fifth Avenue to the museum. It would last a total of twelve minutes. 

Seated in the back seat, the car began to move. It cruised along the Upper East street. The Kennedys waved to the crowds, and they cheered in return. After making the planned pass by Sacred Heart, the motorcade turned onto Fifth Avenue. Jack clasped Jackie's hand. She smiled. Suddenly they heard a bang. 

"Get your head down!" Jack pushed down his wife before they got down. There was screams. This was obviously an assassination attempt. The First Couple then felt cooler. It was Clint's shadow. This time, he had managed to get aboard in time.

"Turn the car!" Clint yelled to the Secret Service driver. The driver swerved the steering wheel. The crowd screamed. A speeding driver had shot out from nowhere and the car went off the road. Jackie screamed. The limosuine, tearing through the fences into the park, then crashed into the Reservior.