Chapter 32 - Peach's POV

It was basically impossible to show my face at school after the talent show. So I did what my mind told me to: 

Leave.

I packed my bags and left. I didn't tell a single person. Not Zelda, not Daisy, not Mario. Definitely not Mario. 

And now here I am-- cooped up in my room, in my castle, all alone. I wasn't fit to rule the Mushroom Kingdom, and I know that now.

There's a part of me that wants to apologize to Pauline. A part that knows I have to if I ever want to move on. But then I remember that apologizing to Pauline doesn't mean she'd forgive me, or that Mario would want me back, or that the entire school won't hate me anymore.

Just like I was in middle school, I was all alone.

It hurts, you know? That no one even tried to call me. All my "friends" turned their backs. Suddenly I was no one. Suddenly it didn't matter that I was a friend of theirs, or that I helped them up the social ladder to feel better about themselves, or the fact that I gave up so much to make sure they felt included even when I knew I could never feel the same. 

I didn't have a single missed call, or text message, or email. I had nothing. Everyone abandoned me. I'm exactly where I started.

But I guess it's my fault, after all. I'm the one who blew up on Pauline for no real reason. I was the one who refused to hear them out. I'm the one who accepted the invitation to the school only to be called useless and stupid and incapable. All I've ever done was make mistakes and regret them.

So here I am, wallowing in my own self-pity. At least I used to eat ice cream when I was sad. Now I don't eat much. It's weird. I think I'm hungry, but as soon as I see food I remember eating with Daisy, having late-night bake offs with Zelda, trying new foods with Rosalina. Was I the only one who thought about them as my friends? Was it not the other way around? Once those thoughts hit me, the hunger is gone, and I just eat whatever I can manage to eat before giving up.

I aimlessly flipped through the channels on TV. They were all the same. Gossip about how the heiress to the Mushroom Kingdom might have to step down. 

I had nowhere to go. I just exist.

A part of me almost wanted Bowser to kidnap me again. Just so I could feel wanted. I know it's screwed up, but that's the only hope I have left.

Suddenly, the phone rang. I stood up and ran to where it was, lying on the kitchen counter. Please, anyone. I'm so lonely. I don't know what to do.

I flipped my phone over to see who it was. Scam Likely. 

I want to say I felt tears in my eyes, but I didn't. I didn't feel anything. I was just...numb. 

It's been almost a week. I guess nobody wants me. It's fine, though, I don't want me either.

I dragged myself back to the couch and sank in. My eyes feel like they're going to fall out. I haven't slept properly in days.

This is just my life, I guess. 

***

Another day passed of lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, waiting for the hours to pass. The schoolwork I was missing was piling up, but I didn't care.

The doorbell rang. 

I knew better then to be excited. I knew it was probably a salesman, or someone looking for my parents. I knew that, but a part of me still had hope it was somebody and I hated that. I hate having hopes just for them to be totally crushed.

I got out of bed, not caring about my appearance. My skin was breaking out pretty bad and my eyes were red because of how little I've slept. Concealer can't even begin to cover my eye bags so I didn't even bother. The sweats I was wearing tied the whole look together. I was dictionary definition mess. I hope the salesperson at the door gets the hint and leaves.