Chapter 2-Link's POV

The second I saw Zelda, I practically forgot that Marth existed.

We've been best friends for so long. Since the beginning. She's a good friend. She's loyal, smart, kind, honest, and...well, dense. She can't really figure out things until you tell her straight up. Well, most of the time.

She was always my best friend. But lately I've been feeling a little different around her.

It started back in Freshman year.

***

"Hey Zellie!"

"Shut up, Link! I told you not to call me that!"

"But it rhymes with jelly!"

"That's the reason why, dummy!"

I stared at Zelda in her casual pink hoodie and jeans. Unlike other princesses, I rarely see Zelda in her crown.

She tilted her head a little so her blonde front bangs fall a little to the side.

"Link," she said, pointing at my sword, "why'd you bring that to school?"

"Ah, well," I explained, "If you're in trouble, I'm prepared! A talented swordsman, yes I am!"

She laughed and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"It seems that we're in the same classes again. Now come on, we don't want to get late to math, do we?"

She grabbed my hand and pulled me down the hall.

And then it hit me.

Yes, it was abrupt, but it just...hit me.

Like, literally. Her long hair whipped my face, and I started rubbing my eyes, and BAM. I guess the thought hit me then.

"Link, are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't tie my hair. Open your eyes and let me take a look."

"N-no, Princess, it's o-ok-kay."

I just did the two things I've never done around Zelda in my whole life:

1) I stuttered

2) I CALLED HER PRINCESS.

She brought her face really close up and forced my eyes open with her fingers.

"They look fine to me. But gosh, I should tie up my hair!"

"Y-Yeah," I stuttered, "t-tie it." She was still close, so close that if she tripped she could...

No, Link, you don't think such things. Like, come on, you aren't the kind of guy who would...

Never mind. Let's just say, my heart started beating a whole lot faster. Could she hear it? Maybe. It seemed pretty loud to me.

"Well, you wanna sit next to me in class?"

"Sure! I always do." Wow. Done with the stutters already.

After a dumb math class and a dumb math test, we headed out of the classroom to head to second period.

"What did you get?" Zelda asked. Our math teacher had the ability to grade in a matter of seconds, so we got to know our grade the day of the test.

"Uh...a 98 I think." I replied.

And then she hugged me. "Link, I'm so proud of you!"

"What are you, my g-grandmoth-ther?" I muttered. Oh gosh, not the stuttering again.

"Gosh, who cares!" She grinned. She's always so happy. It's good, though, very good.