Chapter 29 - Peach's POV

Zelda sat down on her bed. "I want to do something for the talent show. Any ideas?"

Right. The talent show. In case you don't know what the princess of Hyrule is talking about, our school is holding a talent show. For some reasons, rehearsals are held privately. Apparently "every performance should be a surprise", even to the contestants.

"I don't know. Do you even have a talent?"

Zelda gasped, putting on a fake expression of offense. "Well, excuse me, princess!"

I laughed. Or at least tried to. It didn't exactly work.

"I mean, most people are showing off some of their movesets," I explained. "So I guess you can just show off your tri-force of wisdom and get off stage."

Zelda rolled her eyes. "Oh, come on. That's not really a talent. I mean, we're all in this school for fighting, anyway. It's kind of dumb to show it off at a talent show when that's the main reason we're even here."

I shrugged. "I see your point."

"Are you going to join?"

I shrugged again. "I don't know."

"I mean," Zelda said with a smile, "your baking is fantastic. Why don't you do that?"

"Well," I sighed, "you can't exactly perform baking."

"True." There was silence. Suddenly, Zelda piped up, "you can sing, though!'

I scoffed. "Me? Sing? Since when?"

"You sing in the shower..."

I felt my face go red. Ugh, this is why I hate having a roommate.

"Okay, fine, I sing in the shower. Doesn't make me a professional."

Zelda gave me a mischievous smile. "I heard Pauline's singing. You wanted to beat her, right?"

I turned my head slowly to Zelda's direction. "Did anyone ever tell you that you're a genius?"

"I usually get the opposite."

"Well, not anymore, because I, the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, officially title you a genius."

"Aw, thanks."

"Now, where should we start?"

***

Lights flashed everywhere. The time has come: tonight is the talent show.

"Hello, everyone," Master Hand announced, "and welcome to the annual Smash Talent Show!"

The audience cheered. I breathed in deeply, trying to calm my nerves. It's okay, Peach. You got this. Everyone loves you.

"First up," Master Hand shouted, "is our girl Pauline!"

I caught my breath.

"Hey, everyone," she greeted in her sparkly red suit and purple fedora. "How're you feeling tonight?"

The crowd screamed. I watched from the gap in the curtains as she adjusted the microphone. "Tonight, I'll be singing a song which I wrote myself-- for someone very special to me. A round of applause for my inspiration, MARIO!"

The crowd cheered even louder, and I could hear the blood rushing in my head. My eyes darted to the spare microphone backstage, and without thinking, I grabbed it and stormed up next to Pauline.

"Inspiration?" I turned to the crowd. "This girl was inspired by taking my boyfriend? How repulsive!"

"Peach," Master Hand interrupted, "please head on backstage--"

"Pauline is a lying, cheating wannabe! And I'm a princess! She's nothing compared to me!"

"Hon, calm down--" Pauline started, touching my shoulder.

I slapped her hand away. "Back off, man-stealer!"

The audience gasped.

I turned to look at them. To see Mario in the front row, looking at me in what looked like disappointment.

"You heard me right," I exclaimed, looking at Mario in the eye. "If she can steal a man, she can probably steal a song." I looked back at Pauline, whose face went ghostly pale. "Let's hear your song, Pauline. Let's hear if it's really yours, or if it was just taken heartlessly from somebody!"

I expected Pauline to fight back. To tell me off. To do something. She's Pauline. She always has something to say back. We're enemies, and she always knows exactly what to do!

So...so why...

Pauline wiped her tears, her cheeks smudged with her purple eye shadow. Without a word, she dropped the microphone and ran off the stage, crying.

"Princess Peach Toadstool. Come to my office," Master Hand said in a stern tone. "Right. Now."

I looked at the audience in shock. Did I... did I just do that? How could I do that? When did I become someone -- something -- like this?

"Wow, what a *****," someone whispered.

"I know right? I always knew she was like this," another said.

"Fake," shouted one girl.

"Rude!" screamed another.

"She's just a bully! How disgusting."

"I knew it. Ever since she got kidnapped, she's been such a disappointment."

"I can't beleive she's supposed to rule the Mushroom Kingdom after graduation."

"She's gonna make that poor kingdom a hellhole."

"Princess Peach is a mess. I hate her."

"Me too."

"Me too."

"Me too."

Me too.

A/N: hello there! Long time no see. I hope you enjoyed this rather dramatic chapter. I'll try to update as soon as I can. Things are getting pretty hectic right now, so it's a bit difficult to keep up with everything. But don't worry, the story isn't over! I'm continuing this till the very end :) hope you liked the chapter, and see you next time!!!